46 - Kung Ako'y Mag-aasawa

(Another fun folk song sung by the Mabuhay Singers, 'Kung Ako'y Mag-aasawa')

A/N: I think we need a light update today

"Anything but that."  This was Richard's initial response to Maine's announcement that they are married.

How else can you react when you suddenly find yourself married to the woman you have fallen in love with but who caused you pain and trampled on your pride in the process? During his irrational moments in the past, how many times did he wished na sana naging totoo na lang ang kasal nila? To hell with the difference in their social status.

Now that he's over that pain and can think rationally, he can now charge Maine's past behavior to being naive. He knows how convincing Mr. X can be. How old was she then? Twenty-two?

Richard studied the marriage documents again. Why does he even find this new development funny and ironic? Based on this record, they are married in the eyes of the law until proven otherwise.

For all intents and purposes. He's now a husband for the moment. Her husband.

He saw the name of the solemnizing officer. He clearly remembers the old judge. At nai-file talaga niya ang marriage certificate? He glanced at her then calls to mind their wedding kiss. Must be the reason why they forgot to fake their signatures.

After declaring himself to be indifferent, these series of roller-coaster events are occurring one after the other. They seem to be testing his resolve. Is this some kind of twist of the universe? So, what's next?

Tingnan mo nga naman ang buhay. Masyadong palabiro. Kung kailan nakarecover ka na, saka may ganito? Ngayon pa talaga?

Richard turned his full attention to watch Maine as she continued to speak nonstop, very obvious that she's nervously anticipating his angry reaction and doing everything to prevent it. So sino ngayon ang mas apektado sa aming dalawa? Unable to help but smile, he realized that he's enjoying her distressed state.

Taking pity on her, he just had to ask about discount to distract her or provoke her. And it did. On both counts.

"Don't push it."

"Talaga? Walang discount? Kahit introductory price for a new client?"

Maine frowned. Tama ba intindi niya? Medyo nag-hang siya nang slight sa husband. Pero discount talaga? Ang laki-laki na nga ng problema, discount talaga naisip niya?

"WAIT! Sandali! What discount are you talking about? Ibig sabihin, hindi ka galit? For someone single who just discovered that he has a marriage record, bakit nakakangiti ka pa?"

Richard put down the documents on the table. "Honestly? Gusto kong magalit kanina. But seeing how you're quite agitated and doing the worrying for both of us, I'll be the calm and collected mind. I'm just amused that nothing has changed. You still have the tendency to panic. At least ngayon wala ng script yung sinabi mo. O ni-rehearse mo din yon?"

"Sige lang, ipamukha mo pa!" Maine slumped her shoulders. "What do we do now?"

Ano nga ba gagawin namin? Alangan namang maglupasay ako dito. Nakapirma ko at hindi naman ako tinutukan ng baril? "Why are you asking me?"

She glanced up. "Because you're the husband?" Realizing what she just said, "Ano ba Ricardo! Stop baiting me, hindi ito biro! And for your information, marriage certificate is a public document. Anybody can request it if they know the details. I'm just worried about you if it gets to the wrong hand."