40 - Changes

It's almost 8pm and Maine is still in the office. She adjusted the setup of her phone camera, switched to video mode and started recording.

"Good morning mom! By the time grandma show this recorded video to you I'm already asleep kasi gabi na sa Manila. Oh, I almost forgot, this is your beautiful daughter Nicomaine. Remember? See this picture? It's you, daddy and me when I was just a kid. Diba kamukha ko?

Pero sana this is a good morning for you and that today your memory will be good. At kung not so good ang morning, I promise that I will not get tired of introducing myself to you everyday. Parang 50 First Dates lang. Did you watch that movie? This gives me the feeling that I'm always telling you stories for the first time.

Anyway, you might be wondering where I am. I'm not in my room but here in our new office. Well, not exactly new, 6 months na po kami in business kaya lang two weeks pa lang naayos ang office space namin.

Hindi mo naitatanong, Interior Design consultant na ang anak mo. Ang pangalan ng business namin ay HoMMe Design and Decor. You want to see the office? I'll tour you. Tara! Eto ang office proper - this is my table, ako naghanap nito sa isang antique shop! This is our small receiving area, this is our small pantry and there's the restroom. Nagustuhan mo ba ang color scheme, blue violet and yellow. Ang laki diba? Ilang steps lang naikot na natin. Pero Ma, sariling sikap naman 'to. Update kita sa mga magiging mga clients ko and I promise, I'll make you proud, Ma.

Just hang in there, Ma. Can't wait to see you again! Love you! Muaah!

P.S: Ma, he's back."

Since she came back from the States the first time she visited her mom, she made the habit of recording 2-3 min videos, daily if possible, or thrice a week if she's busy. She would send them to her aunt and grandma with copy to Tita Terrie for backup. They would then show the videos to her mom. On good days she would remember her daughter but most often than not she would ask for the name of the girl in the picture.

Pero carry lang, at least, after 10 long years, she got to hug her mother and see her almost everyday and say I love you and I miss you. That more than made up for their lost time.

And of course, she finally had the guts to resign from the school as Communication Specialist even before she went to the States. When she came back, she enrolled in a 1-year Interior Design course. She took freelance writing as part time job. Hindi lang ibang tao diyan ang may monopoly ng multi-tasking.

But she decided to move out of their house because her dad won't allow her to put up her own business.

Speaking of her dad, well it's a different story. Next time na lang.

For now, magliligpit muna siya bago siya umuwi. Nauna na si Ate Kai dahil siya na ang nagpunta at kumuha ng curved wood sample sa supplier. She went to the pantry and washed all the dishes, tidied up the office. She looked at the tray for the snail mails that arrived that day. Mostly promotional materials but she found two envelopes from the school they used to work for, addressed to both of them. Looks like invitations. She put it in her bag, she'll open it later.

Finally, she's ready to go home.

The cool breeze that welcomed her when she stepped out caused her to pull her cardigan closer together as she stood in front of the 3-storey building to enjoy the cool air of January scented by the leaves. She looked up at their signage "HoMMe Design and Decor". Never fails to put a smile on her face.

A/N: Aaaaw. Changes, so many changes in life... Sino mag-aakalang magagawa mo lahat yan. You go girl. Sa jumping to conclusions na lang tayo may problema.