50 - Legalities

"Sa wakas, we meet at last! Sa dami ng kuwentong narinig ko,.."

Richard cleared his throat. "Pards, huwag na nating i-recite and preamble ng Constitution, pareho naman kaming law-abiding citizen ni Maine."

"Sabi ko nga. Basta kung aapihin ka nitong kaibigan ko, Kristoffer is the name, law is my game."

"Pards, hindi yan ang sinasabi mo sa 'kin na advice. At anong Kristoffer? Tope' ang nickname mo!"

"Brader, akala ko ayaw mo kong magkuwento? Maine, magsimula na tayo at ang talim ng tingin ng kaibigan ko. Hindi ko alam kung bakit. Pansin ko lang habang bumababa kayo, brader. Okay ka pa naman nung umakyat ka kanina. Pambihira, wala ka pa rin bang mga upuan dito?"

"Ako yata may kasalanan, Atty. Kailangang pagbutihan ang pagpili at kuripot ang kaibigan mo."

"Ayaw kasi niya ng style ko, baduy daw akong pumili. Let's go to the kitchen."

"Ngayon mo lang nalaman brader? Call me Tope, Maine. At hindi na ko nagtataka ngayon bakit nahuhulog ang mga bagay-bagay."

------------

"When Richard gave me the details of your marriage, I had my theory but I needed to be sure. The marriage license was secured to get a schedule with the judge who can officiate your supposed-tobe fake marriage."

"Pero, birth certificates lang ang binigay namin."

"It seems your Tita's connection works at the Civil Registrar Office of one of the cities in Metro Manila that's why she's able to have it released than the customary 2 weeks it takes Marriage license to be processed. So, other than your birth certificates, other requirements were waived. Which means, the marriage license was filed at the Civil Registrar's Office. Judge Manalo made sure of that before officiating your wedding."

Richard and Maine exchanged looks.

"Yun pala pards. We were told that he was already retired on the day of the wedding."

"That's another thing they were banking on at the time, that Judge Manalo was already retired on the day of the wedding. This will make the wedding or marriage null and void even it gets filed accidentally which is what happened in your case. And he was officially retired in so far as his office is concerned."

"Bakit parang may kaya lang yung statement mo?"

"You got married on June 12, 2015 which was a Friday and a holiday. Judge Manalo's 70th birthday, according to the records, is June 14 which fell on a Sunday. Technically speaking, he was still an active judge when he officiated your wedding."

A/N: Ooops, hindi ko po talaga alam ang rules ng retirement ng judges sa Philippines, just making up these technicalities for science sake.

"Therefore, your marriage is very much valid, legal and binding in the eyes of the law."

Atty. Dangculos looks from Richard to Maine and back trying to gauge their reactions before addressing the white elephant in the room.

"Now to address the 'white elephant in the room' so to speak. Hindi ko na hihintaying may magtanong sa inyo. I had to consult with a colleague of mine on the interpretation of the current Family Code."

"Pards, I thought we agreed to make this confidential."

"Don't worry, hindi ito magsasalita. I consulted with Atty. Google."

Richard glared at Tope.

A/N: Uy nagpapatawa si atty. Teka, saang bansa nagtake ng BAR si Atty. Google?