52 - One Day Isang Araw

Meanwhile, that same night at a coffee shop somewhere in Manila,

"How is it going brad?"

"Eto nasa tech beat pa rin. Nag-nonosebleed na ko kakaintindi ng mga technical terms ng mga ini-interview ko. Ang hirap pang hagilapin nitong na-assign sa 'kin! Haaay pare, I hate my job!"

"Sino ba yan?"

"I doubt if you know him. Some kind of pinoy dude, a college dropout, at least that's his play, who made it relatively big in Singapore. Smart ass and he's back in town. I want sana a different angle. The human side. But the guy prefers to be interviewed through phone. Masyadong busy yata. This should have been given to the female reporters in our department who are eagerly volunteering. Artistahin daw. Parang hindi naman" The guy explained looking at the image of his assignment on his laptop.

"Patingin nga?" .... Since the memory was still fresh, one look and the recognition was instant. "Brad, I've seen that guy with his wife!"

"Wife? Are you sure? From what I know he's not seeing anyone or not in public at least. In fact, he's not the social type who frequent parties or events. The regular geek technopreneur kind."

"I'm sure pare, ang ganda ng asawa niyan! Kausap ko pa nga when he approached us, when was that? Wait, wait, wait, ah sa isang homebuilders' center somewhere in Balintawak. Very territorial, I must say. But I can't blame him, the wife is really something. If I remember correctly, he even said she's pregnant."

"Hhmmmm... ano naman kung may asawa?"

"There's your human angle. Like who is the wife?"

-------------------

Maine woke up the next morning, feeling refreshed and happy.

Simply happy.

Ryzza had already gone home to prepare for school. She sat up, propped her elbows on her knees and pinched her cheeks to check if she's dreaming. Kami na.

Maine smiled as she recalled his goodnight kiss. Or what was supposed to be his goodnight kiss. Yung dapat sa lips na biglang napunta sa noo dahil biglang lumitaw si Ryzza at biglang naupo sa may ulunan ng hagdan.

"Kuya, matagal pa ba yan? Inaantok na ko. Dito daw ako matutulog sabi ni mamang. Umuwi ka na daw."

"Bunso, konti na lang talaga. Bibingo ka na!" Pero tumayo na rin siya at pasimpleng hinila ang kamay ni Meng papunta sa hagdan.

Richard gently pat Ryzza's head. "O, huwag ka malikot matulog at baka mabali mga buto ng Ate Meng mo ha? Kilala kita, konting yakap lang, hindi siya unan. Baka wala nang matira sa 'kin."

That remark deserved another very fine pinch on his side. "Aray! Isa ka pa, nakakarami ka na ng kurot ha! Porke walang pandesal yan, sinasamantala mo."

She touched his cheeks with both hands. "Sige na uwi na, matutulog na kami ni bunso."

Her phone alarm sounded signaling that it's time for her morning greetings to her mom. She turned on the video mode and started recording. Her message will be short and sweet today remembering that they will be talking about her.

"Good morning mom! Ito ang masaya mong anak na bumabati sa 'yo ng isang magandang umaga. ....."

Maine just finished her video recording when she smelled the aroma of coffee being brewed. Hhhmmm... And something else. What is that smell? Someone's cooking? Her eyes twinkles as she stand to freshen up.