45 - Moment Of Truth

"Maine? Bes, betty, friendship? Teh ano ba, magsalita ka naman! Yung sa akin e biro lang naman, hindi ko naman alam na ganito pala. Nicomaine! Earth to Maine... Mars to Maine... Venus to Maine."

Kakai tried snapping her fingers but Maine remained still, holding the document.

"Houston, Moscow, Beijing, ah, we have a problem... pa'no ba to, natulala na yata 'tong kaibigan ko. Ah, alam ko na ..... Diyosang Kakai to Maine!" she snapped her fingers again and Maine blinked. "Sabi na effective pa rin. Tubig pa?"

Kakai became worried when after a few seconds, her friend started laughing. "hahahaha! hahahaha! Is this some kind of a joke Ate Kai? hahahaha! Diba ang nirequest natin ay CENOMAR to prove I'm single? Nakakatawa sila diba? hahahaha! This is so funny, I swear!"

"Patay, naloka na yata! Bes, kung joke din lang, bakit naman babayad ka pa sa NSO o PSA or kung anuman ang tawag diyan. E di sana ako na lang binayaran mo. Ayan o, titigan mong mabuti! Malinaw pa sa sikat ng araw. Siyempre kung may-asawa ang kumuha ng CENOMAR, e di positive ang result dahil may marriage record! O negative result ba tawag do'n? Ah ewan, basta!"

Maine looked carefully at the CENOMAR result that she's holding then stood up to go to her room.

A/N: Mga bes, the resibo. Had to put the disclaimer. This is EDITED, I repeat this is EDITED. Ayoko pong makasuhan ng falsification of public document. Hehe, lamnadis :)

"Okay ka lang friend? It's not the end of the world you know! Isipin mo na lang teh, maraming magbabayad maging ganyan lang ang pangalan ng groom nila. Maine!"

Maine silently closed the door of her room to block out any further words from Ate Kai. Putting the document on her table, she still had the presence of mind to request online for a copy, correction, copies of the marriage certificate, if it's really existing.

She studied the authentic security paper again binding their names in a public document. After hearing his terms on the project this evening, and then the CENOMAR result in front of her, she just had to ask. What can be more complicated than this? God, what have we done? Even if there's a mistake, it will still take a while to untangle this mess.

Her mind now blank and her heart numb, she lies down on her bed, street clothes and all then closed her eyes. Maybe when she wakes up, this will just be all part of a dream. A funny yet sad dream. A satire.

She didn't hear the sound of her phone ringing. It's Tita Terrie trying to get hold of her.

A/N: Huy, Ms. Maine! Maghilamos ka muna.

------------------

Maine woke up startled the next morning. It was that old dream again before their fake wedding. Of them getting married and Richard disappearing, dissolving like in science fiction movies. But the reason is clear now, the groom doesn't want to be married to her.