Chapter 2

My plan is to try and keep a steady rhythm of posting a chapter every Friday (I will try) But I thought I would give everyone an early update because it is New Years Day!!!! Happy 2014 every one :)  

Chapter 2 (Reinya's POV)

“You can’t just cry all day.” Gorell stated in an overly cold voice I was sadly growing accustomed to these last few days.

“I can try,” I retorted bitterly, staring out the window blindly. I hadn’t moved from the chair I was sitting on since alcohol had been removed from my diet.

Many people had fared better than myself when they found out that Princess Elemmire had been killed. Many grieved, and then moved on, usually to helping Lady Galadriel prepare the funeral for her dead daughter, saying it comforted them, knowing they helped create a funeral as beautiful as she was, to help send her to the afterlife. I would have found no such comfort.

“I am thinking of leaving to Mirkwood tomorrow.” Gorell announced.

“Have a safe trip,” I said, calling his bluff. Elemmire’s funeral was three days away, he would not return to Mirkwood until it had been commenced. Elemmire was his friend too.

“Reinya, come to your senses! There are bigger things at work in this world then departed souls! More is to worry about than the loss of your friend! There will come a day when more of your friends will die, and what will come of you when that pass?” Gorell exploded, slamming his fist on the table in front of me.

"You must be feeling some remorse for your brother! He was captured by the witch and you want to go back to Mirkwood?" I turned my face away from him, I knew it was the wrong thing to say he was only trying to do what was right for others. Then in a much calmer voice, I spoke, “I no longer hold a place in my heart for my friends. If they die, they are already long dead to my heart, and I shall not shed a tear at their departure.”

“Does that include me?” Gorell asked weakly, his fists tightening. Against my will, tears prickled at my eyes.

“I don’t know yet.” I told him, emotion washing through my tone. My first honest words in days.

We embraced, and I cried loudly on his shoulder. “I don’t want to lose anyone anymore.” I told him quietly.

“Nor do I.” He responded.

~~

I was shook awake by Gorell, and by the position of the moon, I could tell it was far into the night. “What is it?” I asked grouchily, annoyed I had been woken up so early, my eyes still tired and dry in all the crying I had been doing.

“Something is happening.” He told me in a slightly worried tone.

I rolled my eyes. “Something is always happening. What makes this event any different?” I told him, rolling out of the chair.

“The volcanoes...they’ve become active, even the ones we elves thought would move again. All of them.” Gorell rushed to inform me. “I am afraid that if they explode most of Middle Earth will be destroyed. And Mount Doom has yet to explode, but it is making preparations, and we are afraid it’ll be the biggest one yet.”

“I had no idea.” I gasped, shocked into silence afterwards. Gorell took my shoulders and pulled me out of the room, and I felt suddenly out in the open, as if the loss of the presence of Elemmire… Elemmire’s corpse to be exact, was like losing body armor.

“You should have come to the council meetings, instead of locking yourself in Elemmire’s room.” Gorell responded, and I nodded. “But you can make up for it, there is one starting soon.”