Chapter 18

Chapter 18 Legolas’ POV

Ravaonna left the room triumphantly, and left the servants to chain me to a wall. Like I could escape, anyways. Not without Elemmire. I pulled her sleeping body into my arms, and she seemed peaceful...for now.

I kissed her forehead, wishing that I could be her dreamcatcher, and shoot down all her bad dreams with my touch and my love, but I knew that wouldn’t undue Ravaonna’s potion. I grit my teeth, and glared at the door. I couldn’t believe at one time, I had actually considered liking her, when I still thought Elemmire was gone.

“Hold me...” A soft whisper came from Elemmire, making me turn my head to her, her face still peaceful. I guess this nightmare hadn’t ensued yet, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

“I am,” I assured my sleeping fiancé.

She snuggled into my chest and sighed in contentment. “And protect me!” She demanded suddenly, her voice still soft.

I hugged her tighter, and smiled sadly. I wish it could be like this, Elemmire and I, with no worries, but it wasn’t to be. Then her skin started to heat up, and her face contorted into anger. She began muttering lowly, and I couldn’t make out what she was saying. Before too long, her skin was so hot, she started to burn me.

I had to force myself to continue to hold her, and I pulled her tighter. Elemmire squirmed in my arms, her burning skin kicking it up a notch, and I let out a gasp of pain, and grit my teeth against the burning sensation. She swung her head, her hand going with it, and she accidently backhanded me, before I felt like I was on fire. Everywhere our skin was in contact was burning, and I couldn’t help it, but a scream of pain left my throat. I couldn’t focus on anything but yelling, hoping it would pass the pain faster.

I felt Elemmire squirm a bit, and felt boiling hot droplets of water hit my skin, burning where they touched my arms. “No...She cried, her tears now coming faster. “Stop...”

Suddenly, the heat started to fade, and Elemmire awoke. “Legolas?” She gasped, pulling me into a tight hug, my burns screaming at me in pain.

I managed a groan, and Elemmire pulled back. “Legolas? Are you alright?” She asked, before looking at my arms, my slightly exposed chest, my face, and her eyes began to fill with tears again.

“Did...I do this?” She asked, her voice breaking my heart.

I smiled, trying to make her see that she shouldn’t worry. “I’m fine,” I coughed out dryly, and laughed through cracked lips. “You were having a nightmare. There wasn’t anything you or I could have done. I would have rather held you and protected you than just watched you suffer from afar, even if it means-”

“Even if it means I burn you?!” She exclaimed, anger in her eyes. “Legolas, I am a monster, can’t you see it? It is what I truly am, since I cannot for the life of me, protect my loved ones from myself. How do I plan to protect them from Ravaonna, if I keep on hurting them?”

She stood up and walked away to another corner of the room before collapsing herself into a ball, tight against the wall. I pulled against my chains, and called out to her, but to no avail. She barely moved.

Against my will, I gave up and rested my head and arms against the hard, cold walls of the room, letting the serene cold calm the pain throbbing in those parts.

Elemmire might see herself as a monster, but she really wasn’t. She didn’t have control of herself, and if I had been smarter, I would have not held her like I did when I felt her skin heat up, but I was not willing to let her go. Not yet, just not yet.