Chapter 8

Chapter 8 (Elemmire’s POV)

    We had been traveling for many hours on end, and our horses were starting to tire; except for Naertho of course, he could gallop for days on end. “We should stop soon,” I commented slowing Naertho to a  halt.

    “You’re right,” Reinya sighed, “I was just hoping we would get a little farther.”

    “At least we had reached the Mirkwood borders,” I pointed out. “Let’s find a place to rest under the cover of the forest.”

    Then the four of us dismounted our horses and walked them into the dense Mirkwood forest. There was something different about trees, they were not the same as when we left them months ago. It was as if a shadow had fallen over the area. Wait, I thought, that is exactly what my mother warned me about.

    We walked for a couple more minutes to see if it lightened up as we continued inward. But we had no luck.

    “I don’t like this,” Legolas whispered into my ear. “This is not the Mirkwood I remember.”

“This is my mother’s warnings meant,” I keeped my eyes on the forest around us incase something was following us. “She told us that there was an evil shadow growing in the east, and I thought nothing of it.”

“We should turn back, it would be much safer to go around and it would be a good idea to tell Lady Galadriel what has happened here,” The both of us turned around to face the way we came.

“It’s gone,” I stated, the way out had been lost in the shadow. “We have only one choice now, that is to continue forward.”

“Then let’s pray that we don’t run into anything!”

Once we had found a clearing large enough to make camp, we laid out our beds for the night. Gorell and Reinya both dozed off quickly, leaving Legolas and myself some quiet time.

“Do you think your dad knows of shadow?” I asked Legolas, his father always seemed to know what was going on in the Mirkwood borders.

“I am-,” Legolas was caught off by a large yawn.

“Rest,” I ordered, “I can keep watch.”

“But wake me if-” the last part was trailed off with mumbles as dozed off.

I could help but smile at the sleeping Legolas. “Good night,”  I softly kissed him on the cheek before wrapping the blankets around him.   

~~~

The entire night I felt as if there was someone watching watching me, but there was no sign of any beings so far. Reinya told me when she first dozed off to wake her up to keep watch for the second half of the night, but she looked too peaceful to be woken up.

Hours passed quickly, and soon I felt the early coldness of the morning breeze, though it was too dark under the cover of the trees to sunlight. Then all of a sudden I heard a rustling in the trees behind me. I quietly spun around and picked up my bow with a loaded arrow.

For a split second there was silence, but then out of no where a ginormous spider jumps at me. Luckily I was faster than it because soon my arrow was wedged into it’s chest.

“Get up,” I hollered at the top of my lungs, “We are being ambushed!”

Not three seconds later Reinya was on her feet wielding her boomerangs beside Gorell who pulled his long sword out of the sheath. Legolas quickly whipped out his bow and arrows as well.

The spiders came out from every angle possible. We fought them off as well as we could, but it was four elves against thousands of giant spiders.