XXXXII

The dinner passed quickly, despite the fears I had.

I figured I would get to the dinner and have eyes staring me down and searching my soul in hopes of finding a sign of treachery, but instead everyone that attended was pleasant and welcoming, save one.

One person, who Argon later told me was a part of the Council, was giving me odd stares the whole night.

They were not filled with hatred or suspicion, but rather with wary curiosity. I felt like this particular council member, a blue haired woman probably in her late seventies, just knew something was off with me. Like she could feel my nervous vibe and knew my story hadn't been fully told yet. I could only hope that she wouldn't prod too much.

By the time I was done eating, I had a smile on my face and was more comfortable around these people.

People around the table told jokes, stories, and someone even flung food at someone else in a teasing way. There was no intense conversations, no serious looks, but rather a group of people who acted genuinely happy to be around each other. Such a contrast to what I was used to.

Food is placed before me and I stare at the boring, same food that I have at least once a week, thinking of getting this meal over with as fast as possible.

Unfortunately, I had never had any control of when I could leave this particular dinner.

Once a week, all of the important people would meet to communicate progress on certain aspects of their missions and also have casual conversation, if you could call it that.

It was usually more like forced words and fake smiles.

Eventually, after enough training and approval from the Supreme Leader, I was "allowed" to attend these dinners. I shortly found out after a few of them that it was more of a requirement than a privilege.

"Lyra, I heard that you managed to pin your trainer down," said a general whose name I hadn't cared to remember. He turned his eyes in the direction of Kylo and my eyes followed. I could already imagine the anger that would be bubbling up in his system  and when my eyes landed on him it was visible.

The general had a smirk on his face, knowing that he was easily getting under Kylo's skin. 

In my opinion, he would be much wiser not to mess with Kylo.

"Well I wouldn't really say I pinned him. But he kicked my ass and knocked my legs right from under me," I reply a little cooly, irritated that he just wanted a rise out of Kylo.

He rolled his eyes at me before returning his attention back to Kylo.

"From what I heard, Lyra had your legs out from under you and she kicked your ass. Not the other way around." The words slipped boldly out of his lips and I knew what was coming.

In a nanosecond, the  general was up against the wall, his hands clutching at his throat, gasping for air.

I waited for the disgust and horror to fill my mind, but it never came. I didn't feel remorse for this man; all he wanted was to anger Kylo.

I looked at Kylo, seeing a look of total power on his face, the control over the situation he had was evident.

"I would suggest you not continue your gossip," the masked man said before tightening his outstretched hand ever so slightly before dropping his arm entirely.

I realized something at that moment. I enjoyed seeing Kylo like that—dominant, in control, powerful.

By the time I was headed back to my holding cell, I was conflicted on how I was feeling.

Nostalgia of my time with Kylo was overtaking the rare joy I found in being around these people, and I didn't know what do do about it. I could only hope that I was acting like I enjoyed my time here well enough.

I had to focus on what I was sent here for.

"You'd fit right in here with us," Argon said as he walked in step with me.

I stopped. I turned to him.

"What?"

"I'm just...you know...you get along well with everyone here and you just seem to fit into all of it." Argon scratched the back of his neck as if he was confused at why I would be confused.

Fit in.

Those words were foreign. Not because they had never been said to me before, but because from the way Argon was talking, he wasn't meaning that I "fit" into a scheme or a plan. He was saying I "fit" into their group, their people, their family.

It was an odd feeling that bubbled a warm emotion in me.

I almost pushed the thought down, but decided it would be better to use it to my advantage, so I played off of it.

I large smile crossed my face.

"I've—no one has ever said that to me before," I told him. I stayed staring at him with my eyes wide and full of joy.

"Well it's true. And I think the elders realize you belong here, too," he replied, a grin passing over his face and his blue eyes sparkling.

He turned and started walking again, reaching back and grabbing my hand to lead me along.

I hate myself for how long it has been since I've written in this book but I just finished my freshman year of college and I AM DETERMINED TO FINISH THIS BOOK FOR ALL OF YOY FAITHFUL READERS BECAUSE YOU DESERVE THE WORLD AND THE DEATH STAR AND KYLO KISSES AND I WISH I WAS A BETTER AUTHOR.

Enjoy