Chapter 23: Sunken Ship

PAST

"I'm alive," Helic joked into the phone, moving his backside onto the stair railing as he playfully scouted down the long staircase of his dorm.

"This isn't funny," you chimed out, pouting a little, "I've tried calling all night but all you seem to do is ignore every attempt."

"Now, now sis," Helic popped, moving his hands around the phone by his ear as he moved through the quiet kitchen, "I don't ignore your attempts, I'm just oblivious to them. There's a difference."

Moving to having his soft fingers move over a red apple, the boy bit into the fruit before jumping successfully onto the kitchen island. Back slightly slouched and hoodie framing the side of his face as he lightly spoke to you, it was so natural and light of a conversation.

"It's like you don't miss me," you sighed out.

"'Cause I don't," he joked.

"Helic!"

He laughed, biting into his apple as he listened to you ramble and scold him more for being so neglecting.

"I really am sorry," Helic said lightly, "It just feels so nice to be free from everything you know? I don't have to worry about much over here...apart from school."

"No Dad," you mumbled out, knowing exactly how freeing Helic was probably feeling, "I understand why you'd want to stay away from any sort of communication."

"Thank you," he piped out, teeth out as he chewed more onto the fruit, "now you understand why I stay away from your calls too. Although it hurts me to do so."

You pouted further, and it was probably heard from the phone when Helic laughed again. "I swear when you get back I'm going to beat your ass."

"Dad might do that for you," Helic darkly joked.

Your heart sank a little at that. "Not funny," you stated, hearing him chewing on the other end.

"N'aww come on sis, laugh a little, and besides, you weren't the one constantly getting backslapped for no reason. I'm allowed to joke about this as a coping mechanism," Helic piped, staring over at the hallway where he heard soft footsteps nearing. He grinned hugely when spotting the woman move towards the fridge of the kitchen. Nothing but his shirt cascaded over the woman's naked form.

"I miss you," you stubbornly let out, feeling like a child ready to push out a tantrum.

"I miss you too," Helic sighed out, his voice a little drained now, "...just know that no matter what I'll always love ya alright?"

Your brows furrowed a little at the slight change with the man's tone of voice. Before you could question the change or re-evaluate how quickly it had occurred, you ranged distracted the moment you heard a playful 'hello' in the distance. Grinning, you tried to hold in your grin as you told Helic to return the greetings. "Helic, tell Tajh I said hi."

Helic grinned before slowly having his free hand wrap around his girlfriend's hips. Bringing her tiny form towards him, she stood between his toned thighs as he remained on the kitchen's island.

"Put her on speaker."

Helic rolled at his eyes when Tajh grew excited herself. Allowing the two of you talk, he simply allowed himself to focus on the mere natural enthusiasm strike Tajh's face.

"How are you?" Tajh piped, trying to refrain herself from stealing the phone away from Helic so she could talk and catch up with you.

"Forget about me! How are you? I was surprised you went all the way to London to visit Helic," you giggled out, not knowing why the girl's voice seemed to give you reassurance.