10 | butterbeer

_____________

_____________

CASSANDRA ALWAYS HATED witnessing two things in her life.

Sadness and death.

And with Astoria with tear-stained cheeks and her eyes practically red from crying so much, it absolutely crushed Cassandra to see her best friend in this state.

She knew why she was crying, remembering being woken up in the middle of the night by a frantic Astoria who would not calm down, her hyperventilating breaths surrounding the quiet Hufflepuff common room.

And when Astoria explained what was going on, Cassandra realized this was going to be harder then she thought. Malfoy was stubborn, she knew that, but he was also afraid -- afraid that a girl like Astoria will bring light into his world and he would destroy it.

She knew people like Malfoy, people afraid to let the best thing to happen to them in.

And she sat in her Potions class, hardly listening, her mind entrapped on Astoria and Draco. Next to her, Liam occasionally shoved a piece of paper at her for the answer when Professor Slughorn would call on her and she would not be paying attention.

"Where's you mind at, Cassandra?" Liam whispered next to her, concerned for her.

Cassandra bent her head down a little. "It's Astoria and Draco." She did not tell Liam about Astoria's engagement as much as she wanted to. Although her and Liam fought a lot, he was one of the people she could trust the most. But she could not speak for Astoria.

But, she did tell Liam about wanting to get Astoria and Draco together. Liam knew how much this was stressing out Cassandra, she always stressed out for other people.

Maybe I'll take her our for butterbeer to calm her down for a while.

When the class ended, Liam took her hand and held it firmly. Cassandra ignored the warm feeling she got with his hand trapped in hers. He ran his thumb up and down to clam her rapid pulse down but it only made her heart beat faster.

What was this?

This was Liam Feyre, her rival up until the winter ball when his demeanor changed. He used to be cocky and arrogant and ever since the ball, he was gentle, nice and allowing, a true gentleman in her eyes. It was like the switched had been turned for him.

"Do you want to go get some butterbeer with me?" He asked, his voice low.

She gave a slight nod before he started to lead the way towards The Three Broomsticks.

________

Liam had always liked Cassandra.

They may have been rivals by everyone else's eye, but he did admire her for being caring towards anyone.

Taking her delicate hand in his, he lead her to the corner of The Three Broomsticks, holding his butterbeer in his hand. He scooted down the bench to give enough space for Cassandra before they plopped their butterbeers on the table.

Cassandra let a heavily sigh out as her shoulders finally relaxed.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Liam asked.

She nodded, wanting to let him in. "It's just stupid to me that everyone is afraid."

He took a sip of the sweet butterbeer before asking, "What do you mean?"

She faced down, afraid a blush would appear on her cheeks if she stared at him again. Her stomach had been twisting and her heart instantly dropped whenever she saw him. "You know, everyone is so terrified of telling someone they like them in fear of rejection. It's sort of dumb in a way, they do not want to tell that person they like them but then get all grumpy when they start dating another person.

"It's like a game, you know? You want to play but your afraid to take the chance and set your foot out onto the field. You are in full uniform and ready to play but you are too scared to step out. And then, people get mad when other players decide to join the game. It's just bloody dumb."

She let those words free like a cage of animals, finally seeing the light. He did not know she had that much to say and it quite shocked him when she did spill those words out.

Alas, it was true.

Fear of rejection is strong but being mad at yourself and regretting something is another story. It takes a toll and is exceptionally hard on anyone.

Liam took is to his heart and stared at Cassandra. Did he like her? He did not know but what he did know was that he definitely felt something for her that was more then a simple friendship. He was attracted her and wanted more of her then just simple butterbeer hang outs.

He took another sip of the savory butterbeer before clamping his hands together. "What about you Cassandra?"

She stared at him dumbfounded as her lips left the rim of the cup. "What?"

He sighed. "What would you say if I asked you out, right her and right now?"

She could have sworn her heart dropped and did a million flips. Liam Feyre? "What?! Do you like me?"

Liam grinned. "I can not answer that because I want us to go on a date first then see where it goes. But I can tell you that I do feel attracted to you."

A wave of undertone flooded Cassandra's mind. She had never expected that her own advice would fire back at her. But did she feel something for Liam? He had only changed not to long ago and already she did feel something towards him. But she could not tell if it was merely an attraction or if she really did like him.

Either way she knew she would love to spend some more time with him. Even as more then friends.

"Why not?" She gave a nod of her head and Liam smiled.

"Why not call this little get together a date?" Her eyes perked up. "If you say yes, this will officially be my first date."

She gave a sweet giggle before nodding. "This will be my first date too and I am already loving it."

And they both smiled at each other with hope in their eyes and talked all day long before he kissed her goodnight on her cheek and heat trailed her right cheek all the way to her room.

_________

i took cassie's advice. a while ago, i posted a rant on my snapchat on how we were all too scared to tell someone we like them and us waiting too long. so i told my crush i liked him and my friends gave him my # and i thought everything was going swell.

all until, i found out his friend was texting for him so i have no idea if he likes me or not. but hey, i am only thirteen, and in middle school so it does not really matter in the future but i do really like this boy.

i will update you later if i get a response, it's been a day and i am going to ask his friend if he likes me or not. i was too scared to ask him because i did not want to make it seem that i was only talking to him just to get the guy i like because he is actually a really nice and interesting person.

sorry for the lack of updating, i just got on winter break so expect more chapters ;).

love you guys < 3

rj.