epilogue : unforgettable

may four, 1998

"I told the nurse that you weren't welcome." 

"I know, but I just... I just had to see you--look at your arm--" 

"Don't touch me!" 

"Astoria I--" 

"No! No 'Astoria I's ', no asking for forgiveness, no more talking to me at all! How dare you show your face to me! Draco, you're living proof of why I am here, why Liam and Cassandra died and why David fighting for his life!" 

There was a moment of silence. 

"I still love you." 

"I'll believe that when I'm dead. You might as well do the honor, you seem to have a history of killing your friends." 

"Astoria, please--" 

"Leave. And never come back. I don't just mean this room or this bloody hospital, I mean for the rest of my life. I don't ever want to see you again." 

"I don't believe you, I'll keep coming here till my legs hurt and when you can finally accept me again. I will never stop fighting for you. I will never stop because you are my first and last love, Astoria. Whether you will take me as I am or not, I will stand with you through anything. I am sorry, I am so so, sorry." 

Astoria didn't answer, she instead played with her thumbs. "Get out." 

"I will love you endlessly." 

He walked out of the room as she still played with her thumbs. She looked up to see if he really left. A heartstring was pulled when she realized he had actually gone. She heard a sound only familiar to her. 

Thump Thump 

~

may six, 1989

He came with flowers. 

"I visited David." 

"You came to wish him the worst?" 

"Astoria I would nev--." Draco sighed. "He forgave me." 

She scoffed. 

"He told me that he understood what I did. Told me that after his surgery, we'll talk more." 

"Why do you speak lies? Do you have anymore decency?" 

"He told me that he wished you the best and that if he doesn't come out of the surgery alive, he'd like you to do something for him." 

"Which is what?" 

"There's supposed to be a letter of some sort in his hospital room that he left behind." 

It grew quiet. Astoria didn't respond back for a while but when she did, she said the same thing to him as she did everyday he visited. 

"Get out." 

"I will love you endlessly." 

And he walked out again. 

~

may eight, 1989

"How is he?" 

"He's recovering." 

Astoria gave a sigh of relief. The words 'Thank you' almost slipped out of her mouth before she bit her tongue. She didn't want to thank him. He was the entire reason David had broken parts of his back.