02. Temple Hanakotoba

The flower that blossoms at the dawn of spring, is oblivious to what the future might bring.

As I take in the meaning of what he is saying I let my eyes wander free. The beauty of it all is simply overwhelming. How can something like this be so peaceful yet so full of life?

"Thank you, thank you so much" is all I manage to mutter, I have no idea what else to say.

"It's just-" Victor interrupts me "I know"

We stay silent as we admire our surroundings, it is one of those places you don't need to talk, observing, watching is enough. When I avert my eyes I see Victor looking at me, my eyes meet his and I can see the ocean in his eyes, an endless frozen ocean.

I couldn't care less if he thinks I am staring, I was, but then again wasn't he doing the exact same thing?

"Tell me something about Russia" My gaze does not leave his eyes as I await his answer.

"I love my home country, St. Petersburg was where I lived before I moved here and in the wintertime it is beautiful" he pauses "there was a lake at the edge of the city and every year it would freeze. So they would turn it into an ice skating rink. They would decorate it all with a million lights and a huge Christmas tree" he smiles at the memory.

I was captivated by his story, this little piece of his world.

"That was our way of celebrating, you see we don't really celebrate Christmas"

"Wait you don't celebrate Christmas" my brows fly up in surprise, he shakes his head.

"I am not sure about the Japanese, but I have always celebrated Christmas. We always had a big Christmas tree, decorated by my mother and me and underneath the tree there would be presents." Now it was my time to smile at the memory.

"had?" Victor had caught me and I had slipped. Suddenly the realization hit me, I could not let them get to close mainly because I was here based on a lie.

"Yeah, when I moved out I never again had the true Christmas sensation" I try to be nonchalant but failed miserably, he knew it but kept quiet about it.

"I guess we will both have to start celebrating again" I nodded and focused on the temple, next to it was this gigantic prunus, it was blossoming and had such a tranquility to it that it made everything around it feel calmer.

While October was around the corner it seemed like this spot was untouched but the cold. Maybe these flowers were stronger than others, but it was probably because this part was not as cold.

A single cherry blossom floated to the ground and out of the corner of my eye I saw Victor pick it up.

"May I?" he held it up to my face and I nodded. He tucked the flower behind my ear and I gave him a small smile.

"Maybe we should get back, we can always return" He had a point, but not for the world would I find a spot that was as peaceful and beautiful as this place was.

"You are probably right" at that exact moment my stomach grumbled, I had completely forgot eating besides the poor airport breakfast I had about how many hours ago? It felt like a lifetime away.

Victor chuckled and we made our way down. Making sure my steps were steady I followed him, maybe this had been a bad idea. I did in no way regret it though.