07. The Cup of China

For those determined to fly, having no wings is just a minor detail.

The next couple of weeks fly by and before we know it The Cup of China is here. I pack lightly and make my way to the airport with Yuri and Victor. I will be traveling with them so I can analyze how they act during a competition.

Since the kiss I have talked to Victor, but kept on the topic of skating. I am just to scared that he will tell me that it was a mistake and I don't want that memory to go to waste.

Together we enter the airport and are flunked by fans and what I am guessing journalists. It was kind of a bid deal when Victor chose to take a break and train Yuri.

"Victor will you continue skating next year?"

"Victor why did you choose to train Yuri?"

"Victor do you feel like you have nothing more to add to skating?"

All these questions are flung at his head, but we keep moving. I follow quietly and keep my head down, not wanting to attract attention to myself.

We get through the gate and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"Is it always this busy?" I ask

"Since Victor is my coach yes" Yuri puts his baggage in the deposit.

"I am guessing that is what you get when you are a skating god" Victor jokes and gets a shove in the shoulder from Yuri.

We make our way to the gate and once more I keep distance, Victor goes ahead to check us in and Yuri waits with me.

"What the hell happened between you two" Yuri motions to Victor "you barely speak and when you do it is mainly on skating"

"Nothing happened, your training was just the focus, that's it"

"Keep telling yourself that, I don't believe you though"

I shrug hoping to have ended this conversations, I simply do not want to talk about this. Victor comes back fairly quickly and hands us our tickets.

"We are all ready to go" He says and we get on the plane. Yuri goes in first and before I know it I am seated next to Victor. We will have to be in this plane for 3 hours and I truly hope it won't get awkward.

I yawn but not wanting to fall asleep I stretch a bit.

"Em, just go to sleep, I will wake you when we get there" I glance sideways and see Victor's eyes locked on me.

"You sure? Aren't you tired?"

"I had a good night sleep, just go to sleep you need it" I nodd and close my eyes.

I haven't been sleeping well the last few weeks, my mind is filled with thoughts and I wasn't because of the nighmares, I simply wasn't able to fall alseep.

Not long after I doze of to sleep. I expect the nightmares, the memories, but nothing surfaces.

The oceanbreeze is blowing through my hair, the cold has swept in and I can feel the cold rough wind against my cheeks. I can see a small pond surrounded by lights. The Ice is frozen solid and I feel myself walking towards it. While I approach I feel a smile creep up on my face.

When I step closer to the pond I notice a figure. He is patiently waiting at the edge, skates on and I notice the silver blonde hair: Victor. He turns around and smiles warmly. His eyes are filled with twinkles because of all the little lights. He hold out his hand...

Abruptly I am brought back, I am on a plane on my to Beijing. I inhale sharply, I am glad it wasn't a nightmare. When I look to my left I see that both Yuri and Victor seem to have fallen asleep. So much for waking me when we get there. They both seem so peaceful and I catch myself watching Victor.

His eyelashes were touching his cheek and his hair had fallen over his eyes. He truly was the most beautiful creature I had ever encountered and that was the problem. The world treasured him, everyone desired him and yet it seemed like he was partially mine. As if that kiss was more than chance, than an opportunity.

I decided something then and there, it is enough to be his friend. He is a beautiful person inside and out and even if I could never have him the way that I wanted to that was okay. He deserved something more than a broken girl, one who is scarred and can't even manage to sleep 8 hours a day.

We still have two hours to go so I decide to let them sleep. I focus on my computer screen as I start analyzing, I hope that I can help Yuri even more and make sure that he wins the Grand Prix.

A 30 minutes or so later they were both still sound asleep. I am quite bored and stare straight ahead. I wonder what I will do for the remaining hour and a half. I close my eyes for a minute and somehow I doze of again.

I awake by a nudge on the shoulder. Somehow I fell asleep and rested my head on Victor while I was sleeping. I sit up straight and look at the both of them, they seem rested.

"Are we landing?"

"Yeah, we need to get our seatbelts on" At that I fasten my seatbelt and sit back. I am not afraid of flying, but my ears can't handle the descend. Which makes flying a little unpleasent for me.

"I am guessing you slept well" Victor asks

"Yeah it was okay" I lie to him, he does not have to know I struggle when I look at him, telling him my backstory brought him close enough.

After we landed we get out of the plane. We pack our suitcases and head for the hotel, luckily airport security arranged that we could leave via the back entrance. So no screaming fans or pushy journalists.

We head to our hotel first. My eyes are glued to the ouside. I always thought China would be identical to Japan, but man was I wrong. China is just as beautiful as Japan, but so incredibly different.

I feel like a little child in a candyshop. I am pretty sure I am gaping at the beauty when I feel eyes on me. I avert my gaze and see Victor watching me with those ocean blue eyes of his, damn him.

I smile and focus back on what is surrounding me. We get to the hotel pretty quickly and we all get our rooms assigned. Mine is at the far corner next to Victor. Whether this was pure coincedence or something arranged I do not know.

After I have settled in I get out and gently knock on Victor's door. We need to talk some day.

Chapter 7! It is time for the Cup of China! The story will have some overlap with the anime, but I will Ember her story! What did you think of this one?