21. Head Vs. Heart

21. Head Vs. Heart

Your heart knows things that your mind can't explain.

"WHAT?" I half scream "I am not a coach, I have no idea what to do" I was in shock, shock.

"Ember seriously, I know you can do it." Victor takes my hand and I lift my brows, he has got to be kidding me.

"Ember, you have helped me so much these past few months, you are practically my coach as it is"

This is what got me to agree, I knew that Yuri couldn't go without a coach and Victor could not stay here with us, this made the decision pretty easy. It would be hard and I would probably get a lot of questions thrown at my head, but I will handle them when they come.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay" he asks as I drop him of at the airport. Yuri didn't go with us, probably to give us privacy.

"I am sure, Makkachin needs you, just give him a big hug for me will you" I know that if something were to go wrong Victor would never forgive himself and it's not worth it to walk around with guilt, I know I have for a long time.

"Oh Em" he takes me into his arms and I snuggle up to him "I will miss you"

And I will miss you, but you need to be with Makkachin. He is the most important thing right now.

"You will see me before you know it" I look at him, smiling.

"Now go, go and safe your best friend" he looks at me, giving me that face. "Don't give me that face"

"what face?"

"Like I am something special"

"You are, you are my little zvezda"

I smile at him, it's still unbelievable that he is mine, is he mine? He leans in and I connect our lips. The familiar warmth spreads through me. I get lost for a moment before getting back to reality. I pull away and shake my head.

"Go, go!" he lets go of my hand and walks of, I admire him for all he is. His tall figure, slender legs, but most of all his heart. He is has the purest heart of everyone I have ever known and I can't believe I got the chance to actually meet him

I wait until he disappears from view and make my way back to the hotel. Yuri is already waiting for me and I join him for dinner.

"So we are really doing this aren't we"

"Yes we are, I know you can do this Yuri, I have faith in you, you just have to have a little faith in yourself!"

We order our food and discuss tomorrow's free program. He put the difficulty at the end of his program and while this might be a risk I know that with his stamina he can easily pull it of.

My phone buzzes and I take it out of my pocket, opening the new message.

From: Vitya

I miss you, wish you were here Zvezda.

I smile at my screen and notice Yuri watching me. "What?" I ask, unable to hide my smile.

"Nothing" and he throws his hands in the air. He knows damn well who the text is from. Ever since Christmas he and Yuko have been harassing me high and low asking for details as to what happened and what he means to me.

We finish our meals and I wish him good night, today is the big day and I think that both of us deserve a good night sleep. Because of all the commotion of the day I fall asleep quickly.

When I get up the next day my nerves are killing me and I am not even the one who is skating. I got Victor's coach jacket and I quickly put it on, it smells exactly like him and it makes me feel braver.

I put my hair in a high pony tail as usual and make my way downstairs, waiting for Yuri. Not soon after he arrives and we go to the rink, we decided not to answer any question until after the free program and it really makes me feel better. I wonder what is being said about me on national television.

I stand next to the other coaches who utterly ignore me, luckily, as Yuri makes his way to the ice to warm up. I give him a thumbs up and see the paparazzi watching us, it must be a bloody miracle for a nobody like me to end up as a temporary coach.

Yuri will be the fifth competitor today so we have some time. I take him with me into the locker room to keep his mind of the competition, but it doesn't seem to be working so not soon after I take him back to the rink. Only two more skaters until it's his turn and if he becomes even more nervous he will explode.

I see the outsiders watching us like hawks, probably hoping for me to fail and with that Yuri. I myself am incredibly nervous, but I need to do something, now.

"Come with me" I take him by the arm and lead him away.

"But it is almost Yurio's turn" he counters.

"I couldn't care less, listen to me" I sit him down on a bench "what is the worst thing that can happen?" I wait a while knowing he won't answer.

"That you fall? Don't qualify? All small trifles! The only thing you need to do is skate, skate with this" I point at his heart. "If you give it everything you've got than there is nothing to feel sorry for! You have great potential otherwise Victor would have never chosen to become your coach, just believe in yourself for once and show the world what you are made of" I tell him and he nods.

"let the movements flow out of you, don't push them out. You are so good and you don't even see it! I want to see you have fun out there and if you do I will enjoy it to"

After my pep talk we get back and I see that Yurio is nearly finished with his free program. I walk him to the edge just as Yurio finishes and I take of his jacket.

"Yuri one last thing"

"hmm" his nerves seem to have calmed down

"skate with your heart not your mind, but most of all enjoy" I smile and he nods once.

He skates to the middle and takes a deep breath, all the nerves seem to have fallen from him. Tranquillity, he is tranquil.

I hold my breath as he starts. I know that he can do it, he just has to believe it. We believe in you Yuri. He turns one double into a single, but that's okay I can see on his face that he will not give up just yet.

When he gets to the second half of the program he picks up speed and throws in multiple good combinations. His Triple Lutz Triple Toe Loop combination is perfect and I clap in my hands.

"Yuri! Yuri!" I cheer as I see that he did exactly what I asked him to do, enjoy.

When he is finished with his step sequence and the music dies down all I can do is smile! He gets of the ice and literally jumps me.

"Yuri! You did amazing" I let go of him and he smiles broadly

"We did amazing, thanks Em I couldn't have done it without you!"

"No need to thank me, let's go get the points!"

Chapter 21! I am currently working on 24 and the end is drawing closer you guys! What do you think will happen!

Xx Esmay