11. Feels like Flying

Welcome the cold like an old friend, and know that it'll be okay in the end.

For hours I stay there, staring at the ocean and surrounded by nature, lost in my own thoughts. I can't handle all these happy people right now. I get that they are happy and I don't really want to ruin their happiness.

The Sun has risen high, as far as winter goes and I think it's around 1 or 2 pm when I get up. I stretch my legs because they have become quite stiff from siting still for so long.

I breath in the fresh sent of the woods and the ocean when I descend the stairs and prepare myself to once again join the land of the living. Today is hard enough as it is and I know I need people to get through it.

Last year I had been with Sirra all day. Don't get me wrong she is an amazing therapist, but she was getting on my nerves. Thinking of Sirra I take out my phone and see that I have a text from her.

From: Sirra

I am sure today will be hard, I am sorry!

It was a simple text, and I did not really need one that had lots of words. Knowing she thought about it was enough. Sirra hadn't been in touch ever since I got to Japan apart from the occasional 'how is it going' kind of emails. And I was okay with that, it gave me some perspective. I really had been a brighter person these last couple of months.

Apart from the text there were several missed calls, all from Victor. He had put his number in my phone as Vitya, his name but in Russian. I have to say I quite like it.

I pressed re-dial and waited for him to answer. It rung two times when his voice enters my ears.

"Hey Em, where have you been?" he sounds worried.

"Just at the temple, needed some time to think"

"I could have guessed that, you okay?"

"yeah, I am fine"

"I know you are not, but that's okay. Anyway, can you meet me at the rink in a few minutes?" He asks

"Sure, I will go there now"

"I was hoping you would say that, I am already there, see you in a bit" without proper warning he hangs up and I laugh. He sure knew how to make me feel better.

Quickly I head over to the rink and go in. I can hear music coming from the rink yet it's not something I recognize. I open the door and see Victor on the ice. I am guessing he and Yuri will be training after all.

"Vitya" I tease him and get to the edge. He looks up and makes his way towards me.

"I see you have my name down, I really need to get you a proper nickname" He smiles

"Guess so, what is this music it's beautiful" my face turns serious when I make the compliment

"it's by Ludovico Einaudi, the name is Fly. I planned on skating to it this season for my free program, yet never did because of obvious reasons" He explains

"I am sure it would have been a winning choice, but why are you listening to it now? And why is Yuri not here?"

Victor starts laughing. "Hey, what's so funny" I blush.

"We had a deal remember? Yuri needed to win a medal and you would skate with me, I am just making sure you won't back down" the realization hits and know I need to keep up my end of the bargain.

My face must be struck with shock because Victor's expression softens.

"Don't worry I won't let you fall, Yuko brought you a pair of skates they are in the changing room"

I nod and get to the locker room, my hands are unsteady when I tie the laces. Was I really going to do this? Was I really getting onto the ice?

I stand up slowly to keep my balance as I walk towards the ice. Victor is patiently waiting and smiles reassuringly when I get to the ice. He holds out his hand and I see mine tremble as I take his.

I put one foot on the ice and try to stay straight. For a long time now I have been really scared of skating, afraid of falling really. My left foot also touches the ice and I look up at Victor.

"We will start slow" he starts skating and I hold on for dear life. Victor is doing all the work and I just allow myself to glide with him on the ice. It's cold yet reassuring as I take in a deep breath.

I carefully watch my left leg and try to skate a little myself. Victor is holding me by the waist to make sure I stay steady. He is my anchor on the ice.

"See? It's not that bad" He smiles as we skate around the rink, he speeds up a little and for a while we just skate in silence.

"Do you dare to go a lap by yourself?"

I nod and he lets go of my waist, the warmth of his touch leaves immediately, but he stays close to make sure nothing bad happens. I skate some and start to ease into it.

My skating becomes more powerful as I skate around the rink, Victor intensely watches me to keep his promise. My mind goes blank and for a minute it's just me and the ice. Nothing is stopping me and I speed up a little.

After a little while I speed up even more. The sound of the door brings me back to reality and I forget to watch my skating. My leg falters and I am launched into the air.

I prepare myself for the fall, but it never comes. I look into a set of blue eyes when I finally open mine.

"I told you I wouldn't let you fall, you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, I am okay, thank you" he helps me stand up straight and see that it is Yuko who entered.

"So he wasn't lying, you really are skating" Yuko smiles and for once I am happy she hasn't brought the triplets.

"I made a deal and a deal is a deal" standing up I am finally able to catch my breath.

"So Victor, is she any good"

"She really worried for nothing, she is quite steady on the ice" He smiles warmly and once again holds out his hand.

We once again start skating around the rink and he speeds up a little.

"Do you trust me?" he whispers.

Second part for today, tomorrow will also be 2 parts! and on the first day of Christmas it will actually be the Christmas chapter! I will be writing it advance and I might have some mistletoe action in mind! Also the presents will be heartwarming!

xx Esmay