How to See Ghosts

Chapter 7

The camp is still, much like the beach. The whole island is asleep, except for myself. Pan left me at the camp alone, probably off to see what the problem with Felix is. Who knows what the Natives are up to, but it's getting more annoying now as the days go on. Last time, they stole everything off the boys hunting in the forest.

They came back essentially naked. At least the Natives had the decency to let the boys keep their underwear. As much of an inconvenience it is, I did find it funny. Especially since one of the boys was Johnny.

I really have to find Walela and thank her. We have to stick together, as girls. It's us against the world.

When I hear rustling in the leaves, I whip the dagger out of my pocket. Over the past little bit, I've grown less cutthroat. I don't pull out my dagger until the last minute. Call it relaxed, call it reckless, so far it's only got me kidnapped once.

Still, I'm not planning on getting kidnapped again.

I step forward, and roll my ankle. Once again, I feel the uncomfortable pull of the muscles in my leg. It was easy to forget I injured my ankle earlier. The pain was minimal. It seems it's only going to get worse the more active I am. When Robert wakes up I'll have to get him to wrap it up.

Limping towards the forest, I tighten my grip on the dagger. I may be injured, but I'm not going to run from a fight.

I hear another crashing, a struggle, and a grunt.

The shadow of a figure moving closer and closer in the forest.

This is no Native. They're stealthy, and sneaky. If the Natives managed to get the jump on Alex, I'd be shocked if they couldn't manage to get the jump on me. Whatever this is, it's not smart.

The dark green leaves rustle, shaking as the creature pounds forward. The closer the figure gets, the louder it becomes. Panting, a groan thrown through the dark, the cracking of branches beneath its feet.

I hobble forward, trying to get a better look at it. My dagger held sideways, ready to slice someone's throat.

It sounds too human to be a bear. Too mortal.

Not lowering the blade, I enter the forest, and as I round a tree, the breath leaves my lungs.

It's a ghost, or a monster, but it's not human. No way.

Before me stands two 'boys'. One has a cloak over his head, as he leans forward. His breathing is ragged, and almost like a whimper every few seconds. His hands are hidden in his cloak, as well as the rest of him. He doesn't even spare me a glance, and his long eyelashes hide his eyes from me. He seems more feral than human, snarling through his teeth when he sees the sliver of my shadow from the moon.

The other boy, he's the monster. He doesn't wear a cloak, it's probably the one draped over the other boy. There's dirt on his face, almost like dust on his cheeks. His freckles are like dust on them too. How could I forget it? His pale skin, and ginger hair. His bright green eyes.

Jared's dead, but here he is before me.

"Finally." He begins, his words slurred together. "I'm Jared, we're lost."

I don't know what to say, so instead I decide to shout. "Pan. Peter."

"Please," He begs.

"Peter!" I scream, my voice echoing off the dense forest. It crawls out in waves, breaking the silence of the night. "Somebody!"

Jared backs up. His accent is warm, even if his body should be cold. "I didn't mean to frighten you Miss."

"Holy shit!" I hear the voice behind me, as I turn around.