How to be a Distraction

Chapter 14

I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing with my time now. I mean, after the little revelation just now, all I can think to do is sit by the fire. I don't even eat, but I'm not hungry. I've got no idea what time it is, and the sun still has yet to come up.

I'm beginning to think it might be more of a permanent feature. Which I'm okay with. My eyes have begun to adjust to the dim light, and I can even make out who is who from where I sit in the camp.

Max sits down next to me, as he's lowered down by Robert. Robert doesn't stay to talk, turning around and moving away. He has been ridiculously odd lately. It's been quite a few days since James died, and I know everyone needs their time to mourn, but he still isn't speaking to anyone.

At least he isn't dancing along the edge of a cliff.

"You're awake." Max points out.

I nod. "I was out for a while, huh?"

"I guess." He says. "Jared's back now. He helped me make some better splints."

The boy shakily pulls himself up, balancing. "I can't walk, but I can stand up. And it doesn't hurt."

"That's good." I'm still at a loss for words.

Peter just kissed me.

Max sits back down, grunting as he does so. He hasn't grown physically since I saw him last, but at lot has changed. The fear in his eyes has melted into a stern assuredness. Gone from a confused school boy to a young man, a fighter.

I wonder what my eyes look like. I'm more easy-going since I got here, less quick to anger. I'm definitely quicker to violence though. That's what separates Pan and I. He has a calm head, and makes decisions as they come. He prefers to goad people on, angering them.

He knows how to control a room, but that comes with years of practice. I need my experience to grow before I can do what he does.

"I'm going to learn to be a medic." Max tells me.

"Really?" I cock an eyebrow.

He nods. "Robert's going back to the Hunt. He doesn't think he's cut out for a life of healing people, and would rather fight the Natives."

"Why?" I ask.

Max cocks an eyebrow. "You know why. He's still upset about James."

I look down at the dirt. He can be upset all he wants, but turning into a soldier isn't going to bring James back. Getting out your anger isn't going to make it go away. It's just going to consume him.

"Well, it's good that you'll be a medic then." I smile.

Max nods. "Well, we are also talking about me being a long range archer. They could put me up in the trees, and I'd snipe out people. Instead of being a medic, you know."

"Wouldn't that be dangerous?" I ask standing up. "You can't run."

He shrugs. "I'm paralysed, not useless. I can't live my life in fear."

That's fair. If I were paralysed, I'd do everything I can to get in on the action. Max must be so bored on a day to day basis. At least Jared's teaching him how to do things. There's almost nothing to do around here, I almost wish the Natives would do another attack.

Which is why when I see Harry sprinting towards us, I can't help but smile. With Johnny nowhere in sight, I can only imagine the Natives abducted him.

Like I said, politically I might not be in favour of fighting them, but I'm so bored I'm willing to put up with it. Out of the fifteen people who've died so far, against all odds I wasn't one of them. If Max can't fight, and I probably won't die, I'm alright for a war.