How to Bite a Lip

Chapter 17

​"That was while you were unconscious?" He asks, and I can't discern the curiosity from the concern that fills his voice.

​I shrug. "Probably, it's not that big of a deal."

​"I don't like being threatened." He counters.

​I turn to glance at Peter of out the corner of my eye. He's frowning, in a way that I can't dissect. He doesn't seem angry nor worried, more pissed off.

​I pull my shirt down. "Well you weren't, and neither was I."

​"We're lucky you aren't dead." He counters.

​I shake my head. "Their plan wasn't to kill me. You're smart; if you were to kidnap someone with the intention to kill them, wouldn't you want to make sure they're dead? This seems lazy."

​"I never said my boys were smart." He sighs, leaning against his bed frame.

​"This is a whole new level of stupid." I snap, knocking my hand aside.

​My wrist hits a small ceramic jug of water, knocking it over on to a scroll. Peter frowns at me, snapping his fingers and the water is cleaned up, back into the jug.

​"You should just leave." He tells me, spinning around.

​I scoff, moving towards him. "You can't just send people away when you are mad at them."

​He glares at me. "This is my island, not yours."

​Fingers are on my wrist, and I feel myself vanish before I can spit out another word.

​I'm in the Med tent, and surprisingly no one else is in here. How rude of him to just send me off. Why is he mad anyway? Sure I disappeared for days, but that isn't any of his business. Not when he can disappear for days without having me worry. We're partners; I'm not his property.

​It's been a long day, so as I lie down on the cot, I let my eyes close. There's no point in trying to stay awake since I haven't really slept in a week. Sure, my body was gone but my mind didn't get a break.

​I need a break.

​When I wake up, it's still dark out. I was hoping I would hit the ten minutes of sun shine, but either it has already come and gone, or I might be waiting for it for a couple more hours. Nothing seems to be really working in my favour as of late.

​Who knows? Maybe the sun is gone forever.

​I step outside the tent, moving into the slight space around the fire. Gregory and his friends are sitting around chatting, as Blaize walks over with a smile on her face. This can't be good.
She moves over to the boy next to Gregory, the stupid one named Oliver, and whispers something in his ear. He turns around to catch a glance of her, smiling before getting up to look at her dead on. With a smirk on his face he leans in closer to her, wrapping his hands up inside her cloak. He whispers something to her and she bites her lip looking back at him.

​I move forward, and Gregory stands up as he sees me, but that doesn't attract Oliver's attention. He still seems to be off in space when I grab him by his hair, ripping him off of Blaize. He falls backwards, tripping over the logs in the fire and landing behind it.

​He's lucky the logs weren't lit. I however, am not.

​"Nobody touches them, alright." I spit, looking down on the boy from above.

He grabs hold of me by the ankle, dragging me down to the ground. When my spine hits the dirt, I can't help but groan. I can't tell if I am bleeding or not, but do I hope I'm not. If there is one thing I don't need any more of, it's scars.