How to Find a Memory

Chapter 9

It's a few steps into the forest when I feel a hand on my wrist. Yanking down, spinning around, a dagger against a throat.

"Aren't you excited to see me?" Pan cocks an eyebrow.

I shrug down, putting the dagger back in my cloak. "Sorry, it's just-"

"If you're always going to be on edge when we're at war, then I have some bad news for you." He chuckles.

"I got a warning from Walela," I tell him. "The Natives are going to attack you tonight while you're sleeping. They found out where you live."

He bites his lip, before leaning against a tree. "Damn."

"Now you know to move it." I tell him.

"It's already moved." He tells me. "I'm quick like that."

I roll my eyes. It's easier to pretend to be annoyed than to show my relief. For all I knew, he was already sleeping. I should be too, and so should everyone honestly. It's a wonder Max is awake, but that can be chalked up to how off he's been since he lost his ability to walk. He's lost both his friends and his own body in only a few weeks.

"Quick to find me too." I point out. "What, can't get enough of me?"

"I have a favour to ask." He lets a soft smile slip on his cheeks.

"That's interesting." I ask, stepping closer to him. "Pan asking for a favour? Can't do it yourself?"

"You're an extension of me." He says. "You know, as a Lost Boy."

He's so full of it. Can't even admit he's asking me for help. He's such a boy, honestly.

"So what is this favour?" I ask.

His hand rests against the tree next to him, holding his weight. Propping his head just above mine. "Jared was asking to talk to you."

"Me?" I ask.

"Well, he doesn't remember your name. He was just curious as to where the girl went." Pan points out.

I'd love to talk to Jared. Not only because I'm so very curious about the whole situation, but because I know it'll anger Alex to know I'm interfering with Jared and Rufio. Although Alex and I have been on good terms lately, revenge is so sweet. I can almost feel its sugary taste on my tongue.

Pan doesn't need to know that though.

"Fine," I tell him. "But you owe me."

He smirks, and grabs a hold of me.

After the popping subsides, I find myself alone in the camp. Only a few boys have gotten up, and are moving around the tents. Some are heading over to the fire pit, the old benches now gone and the only place to really sit is the logs now.

The med tent seems to be empty, and I can only tell it's a med tent because that's where they brought Rufio this morning. The new camp seems to be organised like a maze, designed to be weaved through to get in any tent.

It's a much more dangerous set up than the last. More compact, harder to find, but a fire hazard. Nevermind the Natives could wipe us out in a second here if they so choose. I doubt they will, but still.

Pulling the flaps open, I notice the boy sitting on the small cot. I cross my legs, and sit on the ground across from Jared.

"How are you?" I ask, looking up at him.