How to Spy

Chapter 10

                In the short time I've been here, I've decided that pan not only does a horrible job of orientation, but of teaching the boys new skills. There are three News left alive, two of which are serial killers, all of which have become murderers. At least he taught us how to rip life out of people's hands, but that doesn't stop others from ripping our lives away from us.

                Max, for example, hasn't figured out that I've been stalking him. Sure, it's only been for two hours, and he's mostly been hobbling around on his canes and splints, but all the same.

                So far he's eaten, practised with his bow and arrows, and sat on a log by the fire. A very uneventful, uninteresting afternoon to say the least. The afternoon has bled into the night though, so we've reached the point of no return. Either he's going to do something, or he won't.

                You might ask yourself why I'm wasting my time watching Max, but the honest answer would be I have nothing better to do. Pan had to go do something, he disappeared as soon as I woke up this morning. Which isn't atypical behaviour, so I'm not upset about it.

                Harry and Alex have been out hunting all day. Hunting here is actually 'hunting', which is to say that we're all assuming they are making up for lost time in the trees. Gregory, like the pervert he is, has gone looking for them to harass them or some other terrible thing.

                The girls are occupying themselves. Apparently the two troublemakers decided to take a walk to the falls to see who could climb the highest, so the medic followed them. At least I know that when one of them falls I don't have to worry about anyone needing medical attention.

                Max is still sitting down, but now he's beginning to look around. Whatever he's up on, he's not getting anywhere. I'm still trying to figure out why he called me a dumb bitch the other day. I'd be mad if I knew why he did it, but for now I'm just confused.

                Gregory pops out, sitting down next to Max. He puts his arm around the boy playfully, before snapping his neck.

                I inhale sharply, unable to even cry out as I scramble backwards. He just killed Max. When I look back up, Gregory is ruffling Max's hair.

                He didn't kill him. It must be the nightmares coming out to play. Pan said this would happen.

I watch Gregory whisper something in his ear, before leaning away. Max struggles to bring a smirk up on his face, rubbing his hands together. I hear a word hiss out through his teeth.

                "Hoes."

                It slithers its way towards me, ensnaring my neck, wrapping my neck shut. Whatever game Max is playing, he's not doing a very good job of acting his part. Gregory however, seems to be serious. He seems to know exactly what he is doing, and exactly what is going on.

                Gregory chortles a laugh, throwing something into the fire in front of him. The fire glows green for a second, and I can't help but think of the poison that Johnny had on his hands. The poison that killed so many boys, that set the camp on fire.

                That had better not be what I think it is.

                Gregory whispers something to Max, who shakes his head, smiling. Out of the corner of Max's eye I see him spot me. Taking his lip in his mouth, he bites it tightly, turning back to Gregory. When he doesn't say anything, I know that he isn't going to rat me out.