How to Accuse

Chapter 16

​"The fuck is this Gregory?" I ask, pinning him against a tree with my dagger.

​One of his boys moves for me, but with a quick flick of the wrist he goes flying off.

​"You've got magic?" Gregory questions.

​I roll my eyes. "That isn't what this is about. You and I both know you're the one that drugged me."

​"Drugged?" He laughs. "You think I could pull that off?"

​I almost back away. Gregory isn't smart enough to drug me, but that doesn't mean one of his little friends isn't. It doesn't mean Max isn't, he was training to become a medic.

​"Oh don't play stupid with me." I back off. "Squid ink and berries? How unoriginal."

​"You ate those fucking berries again?" He laughs.

​The two boys, Olivier and Spencer, are ready to fight me. Oliver is the dumb one with a knife in his hands, already baring his teeth. Spencer keeps his hand on his side, ready to pull out his sword within a moment's notice.

​"No, they were shoved down my throat." I spit. "By your grubby hands. It's cowardly of you to do that to me. I honestly thought better of you, which is hard to believe."

​"Maybe it was your little boyfriend." He spits. "You know, the one you made retarded."

​I shrug. "He couldn't drug me. He can't even walk."

​I think I'm supposed to feel bad for the way I'm talking about Johnny, or even scold Gregory for using that word, but I don't have it in me. Nor do I care. I'm supposed to care, but I don't. Who have I become since I got here?

​Someone I can stand.

​"Then his babymama did." Gregory chuckles, and Spencer laughs along to.
​While Oliver looks confused, and Max ashamed. I'm a seriously going to have to talk to this kid.

​"And I'll fuck you up for what you did to my back too." I tell him, slicing my dagger along his hand.

​Oliver darts forward, but with one slam of my foot he's on the ground.

​"I didn't do shit." Gregory cocks his head from side to side. "But soon enough, I'll break that pretty little mug of yours."

​"Why not right now?" I ask.

​He laughs. "Please, if I kill you now Pan will have my head in. And if you kill me, he'll have yours. Just wait out until the war, then will deal this out. Like men."

​He tries to walk past me, but I reach for him and shove him back into the tree behind me. I can see the muscles on my body, muscles I didn't have before this island. I'm much stronger now than I used to be.

​"Please, I'm better than you, boy." I spit on his shoes, before turning around and leaving.

​I hear the sword being unsheathe behind me, and with a quick tap of my foot, Spencer falls to the ground. With a smirk on my face I leave them all behind.

​It's a few minutes before the rest of the boys trod out of the woods. They leave Max behind, and I can hear him hobbling after them. Slowly but surely, he carries himself, and I can hear him grunting in pain as he moves forward. Those splints must really suck.

​I slink into the forest, cutting in front of Max. He stumbles backwards, and I can hear the crack of his legs as his right splint breaks and hits the ground. Legs shouldn't be at that angle, so his leg definitely is broken. He doesn't even wince.