How to Greet

Chapter 1

My feet are pressing deep into the sand, as I try to make out anything in the dark. It's near impossible to move towards the beach, but the bashing of the waves against the shore helps me to figure out where it is exactly that I'm headed.

I peek through the trees, glancing at the girl up ahead. The moonlight shines off her bright red hair, and as she turns around I duck behind a bush.

This is it. She's the first girl to get here. I can't tell which one she is from here, but she is the first.

Pan has gone to calm the boys down, and bring them back to the camp. It's just be me now; I'm the one who gets to greet them. Peter took me to camp so that I could get a change of clothes, so thankfully the new ones don't have to me a girl soaked in blood.

Apparently it's normally Felix that does this, which is why I'm not surprised when I see him trailing in the forest behind me.

"Pan sent me-"

"To keep an eye on me?" I ask. "I don't need your help. I've got a plan."

"You've never talked to a New before," he spits.

I roll my eyes. "I'm a New, jackass."

Wasting no more time, I walk into the clearing. The girl spins around to face me, placing a hand on her brown satchel.

"Who are you? Where am I?" She demands, a thick Aussie accent coming through.

Which one was the girl from Australia? I've got no idea.

"Calm down." Felix emerges from the bushes. "You're being ridiculous."

I turn around, shoving him. "This is mine."

"What the hell are you doing?" She demands, moving her bag in front of her defensively.

Her blue eyes flash about, darting from Felix to myself. Felix sneers at her, as she glances between us.

"Nothing," I offer, casting a glare at Felix out of the corner of my eyes. "We've just come to help you."

She whips her bag open, taking a can of hairspray and a lighter in her hands. She holds them up at us offensively, a threat.

"What the hell is that?" Felix asks, stepping forward.

This is the arsonist.

"Do not move." I tell Felix.

"That's right pretty boy," she snarls, cocking a smile. "One quick move and you're hair will be on fire."

"Fire?" He asks.

"Pretty boy?" I counter. Felix is many things, none of which are pretty.

The girl in front of us straightens up, looking us down. Her mouth curls into a smirk, and her nose scrunches up.

"I'll explain later." I tell him. "Just understand this, she moves her finger and there's a fire."

He must have never seen a can of hairspray before. I don't imagine they had that 1910s. Unfortunately I didn't learn about fashion trends throughout history for the most part. I was always interested in war more than that.

"Hey dumbass," the girl shouts at me. "Might not want to pull out a weapon when I'm holding this."

I look down at my hands, realising I've grabbed my dagger. It was more out of instinct than anything else. Trust me, I know better than to mess with an open flame.

The girl moves like one too, swaying back and forth slightly. She's got a wild look in her icy eyes, and she looks like she could cut me apart with one glance. Everything about her screams danger, and I can't wait to see it between my own fingers.