How to Run

Hey, before we start, I'd like to dedicate this chapter to PeanutKay for the Fanfiction Awards 2017 for Volatile in the category of Best of the Undiscovered. It would mean a lot to me, if any of you really enjoyed Volatile, to head on over to thefanfictionawards and nominate me under the category Best of the Undiscovered for Volatile. Please enjoy this chapter, I really loved it.

Chapter 16

    When I look up, all the Natives are gone. I'm still in their camp, and the ground seems to be spinning beneath me. There is no sun, but everything is clearly visible. Not even shadowed over, only tinted dark blue. As if I'm looking at the world underwater. The air hangs around me light and breezy, almost too clear. Like there is nothing in the space I'm in at all. It's cool without a breeze, and I for a second I think I can see my breath in the air.

    A sharp sound erupts beside me, scratching against my ear like a knife on a plate. My hands rush on to my ear as I wince it pain.

    The next thing I hear, is heavy breathing. It's not coming from me though, and I can feel the hot breath on my neck, wrapping its way down my ear. So I spin around looking for the source.

    "Charlie!" A voice calls from far off where I can't see them. There is no way they were behind me.

    I can't put my finger on who it belongs to; it's too shrill to understand. It sounds as if it's coming from deep within a tunnel, or from deep within the sea.

    Moving towards the sound, the breathing gets louder. Walela's body is on the ground, and she's convulsing. Shaking from top to bottom, blood trailing down her chin and puddling on the ground.

    This is part of the Fear Run. I know it isn't real. She's bleeding out though, and I can't breathe.

    I kneel down next to her, letting my hands rest on her head. Walela's hair clings inside the cut from where the blood is pooling out of her head. It won't stop, not even when I put my hands on it.

    I can hear myself choking, as I tremble like an earthquake.

    "You," the word cracks open her mouth, sharp like a knife. "You did this."

    I shake my head. "No. No I didn't."

    Someone grabs me from behind, ripping me off her. I fall back on the ground, as I watch Inali cradles Walela. He slowly rocks her head in his hands, the blood mixing in all over his clothing.

    Someone else shoves me back, and the Natives have returned, along with their anger.

    I can't tell what is real and what is the Fear Run.

    "You did this!" Inali shrieks, his face reddening. "Your magic killed her!"

    I shake my head, as someone kicks me to the side on the ground. "No."

    I'm not so sure I'm didn't, and the colour drains from Walela's skin as her blood drains from her body.

    "I can save her." I tell him, pulling myself closer. "With my magic."

    "It's done enough damage." He shrieks.

    Someone pulls me up off the ground, before slamming me back down against it.

    I couldn't have killed her. No way. I've killed people before using my magic, but that was at least a little bit intentional. I mean, I didn't know I was doing it, but I wanted to hurt them. They got what they deserved. I couldn't have done this to Walela.