How to Learn about News

Chapter 2

The walk back to camp was ten minutes, but far too long for my taste. Felix had picked up Alison, and carried her over her shoulders like a fireman, with Elizabeth dotting at the girl over his shoulder.

"Pansy," Blaize remarks, looking from between me and the short girl. "Honestly."

It hits me. "Francesca."

The girl straightens up, puffing out her chest. "How do you know that?"

"Not by drugging you." I chuckle. "But with magic."

Blaize can't help the roar of laughter that escapes her mouth. "Your name is Francesca?"

"It's Frank." She spits. "I'm Frank."

"Sure you are, Francesca." Blaize snorts.

Frank glares at the girl, her hand carefully dangling over the pocket in her pants, before she crunches her knuckles together and backs them away.

Felix and Elizabeth continue moving towards the Med tent, which is somewhere in the center of the clearing. The two of them move forward, until they spot Jared.

He looks at them doe eyed, before glancing from me to them.

I should probably explain this. This being having girls existing here.

Rushing forward, I make it just in time to hear the words that trail after Elizabeth's explanation to Alison's condition.

"You must be Peter Pan, right?"

Jared, either shocked or star-struck, says nothing. He resembles the cartoon character a bit; from his ginger hair to his green shirt and pants. The only thing missing is the pipe and the hat with the feather in it.

"No, I'm Jared." He musters out, his lips forming into a slow smile.

She nods, before grinning. "I'm Elizabeth."

"It's a longer story Jared, one I'll explain once this unconscious girl is less unconscious." I shout to him, rushing Felix into the med tent.

Jared nods, heading into the tent, as Elizabeth calls out. "I'll come help too."

She follows him into the tent, leaving me with Blaire and Frank all on my own. Great. Alone with a girl with a mischievous glint in her eye and another with a chip on her shoulder. This couldn't go wrong.

"They're girls!" I spot a boy shout from across the clearing. He's one of the three boys I don't know, and he's yelling across the space at another boy I don't know.

There's only three of them, I ought to find out who they are at some point. For now I'm busy with training these girls.

Right, training. I didn't plan on training Elizabeth since she is supposed to be the Medic, but I did plan on training Alison. For now, I can at least see what these two can do.

"Wait, are we the only girls?" Blaize pipes in. She rubs her hands and puts her lips together. "Sweet."

I roll my eyes, already having had enough of her schemes before they've even begun. Not fed up exactly, just waiting for it to be over.

"Come on, follow me." I wave them over, gesturing for them to follow me into the forest.

Blaize ignores me completely, continuing to glance around the camp. I can't help but feel her excitement. It was much better before she got here. When I first came, there were nearly forty boys bustling about. Fighting, gathering, talking; it was a sight to behold.