How to Conquer

Chapter 12

"You managed to find those girls?" Peter asks.

I turn around to see his silhouette sitting on our bed. It's a pleasant surprise to see him, especially since I hadn't expected him.

Moving over, I sit on his lap, putting my hands on his shoulders. My fingers flick off a pine needle that is caught in his clothing, and I can't help but think that's why he always smells like the forest.

"Finding them was easy." I yawn. "Getting them to come back here, now that's the challenge."

"I see you managed to be successful." He reaches up behind me, tugging the ribbon out of my hair.

"Where were you yesterday?" I ask.

He shrugs, glancing down to the hatch. "Felix."

"What's up with him?" I ask, playing with the leather cuffs on Peter's wrists. "He's been off since he got kidnapped by Dominique and them. I thought he'd be better by now, it's honestly getting pathetic."

He nods in agreement. I can hear the hum of his skin against mine. When he doesn't update me on Felix, I can't help but wonder why.

The soft sheets beneath us can't trick me anymore into thinking we are something we aren't. There are too many secrets between us for me to pretend everything is fine anymore. We are sitting on a bed of lies.

I move off of him, running my hands through my hair. "Those girls are convinced they are being targeted."

"By who?"

I shrug. "Probably Gregory. He's a thorn in my side. Do we need him for some reason? Or can I just go ahead and kill him."

"You've still got it, I see." He chuckles.

I take the ribbon from his hands and begin to tie my hair up. "I'm not kidding Peter."

His arms wrap around me from the back before I realise he even teleported behind me. I attempt to keep tying up my hair, but he presses his front into my back. See, I would try to escape if I was actually mad at him or anything, but there's no point. Peter isn't someone I can argue with. Pan and I will never see eye to eye, but every time I look at Peter I can't argue.

Which is why this is easier with him standing behind me.

"You never kid, love."

The words hit me, and I shrug out of his grip. My eyes can't meet his after he says that. How am I supposed to concentrate on what we are talking about when he calls me love?

"Love?" I scoff, the works sinking through my teeth.

There are things in this world I can handle. Secrets, lies, betrayal, murder; it seems more like a norm than something that should actually shock me anymore. It's not that I wish he'd keep me privy to all that goes on in his head, because though I want that it's not what separates us.

We are parted by a ravine filled with the broken bones of those that have loved before. Corpses of the boys who have cared and suffered for it. Loving only brings suffering, and it only brings death. I don't have the luxury of caring about anything except surviving.

After the Fear Run, I realise how brittle human bones really are. One fracture and I'm dead.

His eyes flash, almost as if a light crosses over them, before his grin becomes maniacal. "How am I supposed to manipulate you if you won't let me call you love?"

"Don't." I manage to let my teeth slither out my lips. "You're not funny."

A tear is running down my eye, but I'm more embarrassed by it then actually upset. He doesn't reach for me, instead choosing to cross his arms and leaning against his bed.