How to Carve

Chapter 15

​"Charlie." The name is the first thing I hear and I recognise it as my own.
​It's the first thing I've recognised in a long time that isn't the name of a boy I know but don't. There hasn't been much else passing through my head, other than thoughts of him, because I have no other thoughts.

​Soft but firm, the voice is Peter's. I'd know it anywhere, since there isn't much else I know.

​"Peter." I answer, my voice a shadow of a sound.

​I can hear the sharp intake of his breath, and feel his hands on my forehead, trailing down.

​"You can hear me?" He asks.

​I sigh out, feeling my chest move as the sound comes out. It's white and I can't see, the colour blinding.

​As I open and shut my eyelids, I can feel them. Nothing is visible though except this now blinding white.
​I try to struggle out a yes, but cough instead. His hands are pressed against my back, cold against my warm body. Do I have a fever? It certainly feels like at the very least that is going on.

​"Who did this?" He asks, his voice hiding the anger I can feel coming off him.

​I try to shrug, but end up coughing instead.

​There is green now, and it's the colour of his eyes. There is skin and eyelashes, and peach lips, and I press mine against his, and I can't feel him kissing me back but somehow I know he is.
​I pull back first, seeing my eyelashes pull apart as I lean away. That's something I can see that I couldn't see before. I can see now, and I can feel now. There seems to be things here.

​"You've been gone for a week." He lets me know straight off the bat.

​"It felt like a lifetime." I tell him. "You don't know who-"

​"I don't know what." He corrects, leaning away from me. "Felix found you in the woods. You couldn't hear, you're eyes had no pupils. I couldn't tell you-"

​"It was somebody who dragged me through the dirt." I continue. "I didn't see them, but they gave me a berry coated in-"

​"Squid ink." He trails on. "It will paralyse you if it's thrown on you. If you ingested it I don't see how you're-"

​"Alive?" The word hangs in the air over top of us, and neither of dare break the silence by even making eye-contact.

​He stands up, backing away with a frown on his face. "It had to be a boy. Tink wouldn't do it."

​I almost laugh. "Tinkerbell is here?"

​When he nods I storm away from where we are. It's still in the woods, far enough away from the camp, but not so far that I don't know where I am. It's a shock it took them a week to find me, I must have been buried under something.

​Peter didn't even move me.

​He's beside me, taking my fingers in his.

​"You can't keep disappearing like that." He tells me, as if this is somehow my fault.

​I shrug. This is more of an inconvenience than anything. If I'm going to be here forever, I'm not going to do so quietly.

​"It's worth it to be here." I lean up and kiss his nose.

​"Doesn't mean I'm not going to kill the person who did this." He frowns, looking down at me.

​I laugh, raising an eyebrow at him. "If you get the chance. I'm going to kill them first."

​He chuckles, teleporting up next to me as we head into the camp.

​People are around now, even if the sun is down. I get the feeling the sun was gone the whole time I was gone, not that I care. Whoever has tried to kill me again doesn't deserve it. They pretty much deserve to die.