A continued combat

MUDDY WATERS by LP

MUDDY WATERS by LP

    "Alex, run." I instruct, fear lacing my voice.

    He shakes his head. "The boys get here, and this tiger mauls them all to death. We've got to kill Lily."

    Alex may have abandoned us, but at least I know he still cares. Maybe not about me, but he has never cared about me.

    "They get here, and they kill you for being a traitor." I try to shout, but my voice comes out hoarse. Why do I care if he dies? I can't get my eyes off Lily. "If the tiger doesn't get you first."

    An arrow flies towards us, hitting the ground in front of our feet. It buries itself inches away from Alex's toes. It's a warning for me to get out of the way before they storm the tents. Lily is hiding in the bushes just beside us; they can't see her. They are still a good half a mile away; it's a wonder they can even shoot through the trees.

    Lily leaps for us. Alex holds his sword steady as I dive into his side, and we skid across the ground. We're lucky I managed to get us out of the way. I don't like the word lucky, and I don't think Alex does either. Lucky is a dangerous thought.

    Lily roars loudly, but my heart still thumps louder. I don't doubt that Alex can hear it.

    Quickly, my hand slips through my cloak. It wraps around my dagger, whipping it out. The blade flashes in the dark, and the tiger's eyes go towards it for only a second. Lily moves in a circle, watching us with eyes that wait for the taste of our bodies.

She leaps on to us once more, but Alex manages to run her straight through. His sword skewers the animal, but it lands on top of us, its weight crushing. The sword slips from his grip, sliding up the tiger's body. Blood pours down over top of us, soaking through our clothes and into the ground below.

    It roars as its insides get stirred about, clawing its massive paws at our faces. I manage to roll out before most of the damage is done, but its paw collides with my left arm, ripping apart my clothes, digging into my body. I scream in pain, biting down on my tongue. Lily collapses, shaking a few times before stopping. I can feel my own body convulsing, and I can't keep it still. This is panic. Alex doesn't move at all next to me, either dead or in shock. I can't tell since he's under the tiger.

    I can see the stars, which seem to begin to fade away. Thunder cracks through the sky, and the stars threatens us with the impending rain. Pan's upset to say the least, and I am too. These people left me for dead, and they stole Alex away from us. If we had given them enough time, they would've gotten their hands on Max without Inali's interference.

    I can't lift my hands to push the tiger off of Alex. I can't even try. My brain and my body aren't co-operating with each other. The fight hasn't even begun, and I'm already out.

    Someone props my body up and I can feel the cool air bleed into my lungs. It's cold touch stings against my skin, but relieves it of at least some pain. As I look at the cuts, they don't even appear to be that deep.