How to Start a War

Hey, before we beginning, I have an announcement at the end of this chapter regarding the mid-season finale, so please read the end comment!

Chapter 21

I can hear my own heart thumping in my chest, as I turn around, sprinting through the forest. I have a vague idea of where the Natives are, that is if they haven't moved. If I cross the border they'll kidnap me and take me to Max. That or they'll kill me.

Or at least, they'll try. I'm a little too determined to be killed.

They have Max. They have Max in their tents, nuzzled between a rock and a hard place. They have kidnapped our youngest, our weakest. Max who can't move, who is allergic to bees and who loves to do archery. Max who only wants to help others even if it means getting himself killed, who can't move about more than a few inches.

It's not fair to do this to him. He's just a child.

I leap around the woods, scaling my way up hills and over rocks. There is nothing that can stop me from getting to that camp, not even the clouds that fog my head and the ringing in my ears.

Peter's arms wrap around me from behind, and I feel myself being yanked backwards midstride.

"Teleport me there." I turn around, quickly to face him. "I've got to get him out of there."

"The Lost boys will be attacking in an hour." He tells me. "Well, maybe a few hours. There taking time to prepare before attacking."

I knew this day would come, and I knew there was nothing I could do to stop it. I will never run out of battles to fight; boys to hurt. We are going to war with the Natives in only a few hours, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I've run out of things I can do to stop it all from happening. Not that I feel bad, I want it to happen.

"It's not enough time. If I don't get him out of there before you start the crossfire-"

"I wasn't saying you couldn't go." He chuckles. "Quite the opposite actually. I was giving you a frame of time. You've got a few hours to get Max out of there."

I pause. "Why aren't you telling me no?"

He shrugs. "Why not? It's more fun with you on my side than you against me. This Max boy matters to you."

And I matter to him. I know I'm in a rush, and that Max's life is on the line, but a few seconds will not hurt. It will not hurt for me to reach up and kiss him.

I do, and he wraps his hands into my hair. Before I can pull away, I feel myself vanish from his grasp.

I land on my feet on the ground, materializing in a place I wasn't before. I can still barely feel my own body, but my head isn't dizzy so I call that a success.

I can see the Native camp off in the distance, not far from here. It's lit up well enough for this time of day. An orange glow around their tan tents, each decorated with stitching.

A people will end today. The Lost Boys have never lost a battle. You may have to lose the battle to win the war, but they've always managed to do both. Sure, we have had losses, and we will have losses today, but we will triumph.

It hits me, going to war. A rebellion is one thing. An organised free for all murder game is another. Two groups of people clashing together, with the only goal of killing as many people is terrifying.

The conspiracy was an elusive threat, but war isn't elusive. It's in front of us and all encompassing. I won't be able to escape what happens today. I won't be able to protect everyone. Some people will die.

They were willing to die to protect my honour. The Natives kidnapped and tried to kill me, and it destroyed our camp. It destroyed Alex and Harry. I play an integral role in our people. I'm a friend, a leader, a warrior, a lover.

But today, I must be the saviour.

I must save Max before the war begins. I cannot save those who I've lost, and will lose.

They are going to fight, and I cannot do anything. My breath hitches in my throat, and I can't move to the camp. Is this what those who stayed behind during the war felt? Helpless, and fearful?

The Lost boys are a rotating cast of young men. We have not gained any since I arrived, but we have lost many. James died to try and save Thomas. He became ill, just so he could be with Robert. He barely knew me, but risked his life to save me from Samuel. James was a true hero. He cared not for himself but for everyone else.

I am a coward. I will fight to protect my people, but I wouldn't die for them. I am selfish.

Who will die this time that I won't be able to save? Jared? He won't be fighting, not with his epilepsy. Devin, with his harsh tongue and sadness? Robert, with his never-ending numbness and self-sacrificing tendency? Felix, the hidden danger lurking behind the corners?

Harry?

The boy who saved me on the first day I was here. The boy who taught me to fight for myself, who did nothing but care for me with all his heart. Who loved a boy who could not love him right, and friends who dropped like flies?

Harry nearly died for me, and I owe him that. If Harry is in danger, I will die for him. He cannot die because I ruined his life. Because I stripped him of Alex, and his brother, and James, and so many more.

It may be too late to reverse what I've done, but it's not too late to help him.

It's not too late to make it up to Max. The boy I didn't spend enough time with. The boy who vomited after seeing his friend murderer. Who attacked his murderer to defend the honour of his friend. Who listened to the boy who never spoke a word, who lost the feeling in both of his legs.

With brown hair that hangs over his head like a visor, freckles, and a heart bigger than any I could hope to see. He is soft, but not weak.

I make my way into the camp, entering the inferno. Strutting in, hands planted on my hips and feet spread apart.

"Alright." I yell out. Faces turn to look at me, none of whom can understand me. None of whom are Walela or Inali. "Which of you bitches has Max, and who do I have to kill to get him?"

~~~~~~~

Alright, are we ready for the finale? First episode will be up next Friday, second Saturday, and the third Sunday. Between then and now, I'm going to have two things up. The first is a Sneak Peek Thursday, and the second is something that requires you.

If you have any questions for any character in the book, I'd love for you to submit them. I'll be going through previous chapters to look for questions that I didn't answer when people asked, but I'd love some new ones.

For now, please submit questions, and I'll see you Thursday.