How to lie

Chapter 3

"You know, we could've just talked in the forest." I tell Pan as I crack my neck.

He shrugs, looking out on to the waves.

Don't get me wrong, I love the beach. However, teleporting isn't my favourite thing, and I doubt it ever will be.

"What is it that you want to talk about?" I roll my eyes. "I was kind of in the middle of something."

"I know." He tells me. "Felix told me you knew the one girl you brought."

"Alison?" I ask. "Yeah, why?"

He shrugs again. "Why'd you bring her? She seems like a waste of a pick."

I furrow my brows, before glancing at him out of the side of my eyes. When I sit down, he follows suit. "What do you mean a waste?"

"Well, putting her in Neverland is like throwing an egg at a stone wall." He tells me.

"She's my friend." I press on.

"And?" He continues.

I stare at him for a few seconds as I let his words settle into my skin. His eyes reflect in the moonlight, deep green. He doesn't care about my friends. His dark eyelashes cover them as he blinks. He doesn't really care about friends at all. His skin looks soft and smooth, like cream. What really matters to him is getting what he wants.

Is that a bad thing?

"Listen, I don't want to argue with you." I turn my head.

He scoffs, looking away before doing a double take. "Really? All you ever want to do is fight."

"I didn't bring her just because I know her." I get up, moving away from him.

All I ever want to do is fight. Oops. His lips may be warm, but my heart is cold and it's ready to fight back.

"Really then." He begins. "Enlighten me."

"I don't owe you my secrets." I counter.

"So there is no reason?"

"There's a reason." I spit, stepping closer to him. "I have my reasons. You aren't the only one who gets to keep secrets, you know. Don't you like a challenge?"

"I love a challenge." He grins. "Is it finding out why you brought her?"

"No, it's keeping your nose out of my business." I snap.

There's no particular reason why I'm not telling him I brought Alison here to spite Johnny, besides being stubborn. He may waltz around like he owns the place, but he doesn't own my thoughts.

"You're in quite the mood today?" He rolls his eyes, finally popping up off the ground.

"You don't own me." I spit. "You can pretend you do, but you don't."

"I don't need to pretend, darling."

"Don't call me darling." I instruct, spinning around and heading into the water.

I don't even bother kicking my shoes off, as I feel the waves crash into my ankles. They fill my boots with water, drowning my feet.

"And you're going to stop me?" He chuckles.

I spin around to face him. "Oh yes I will."

He shakes his head back and forth, almost laughing. "Sure you are. Don't you have better things to do with your time, Charlotte? Like getting to know those girls back there."