Intro

What is the fan/idol relationship? 

Is it mutual? Give and take on both parts?

Is it one-sided? 

What is this relationship exactly? 

We mostly only see it from a fan's viewpoint. The fan loves the idol. The fan gives to the idol. They celebrate the idol and share in their victories. They pour their heart and soul into the person or group they will never have a real relationship with. It's all a lie they tell themselves. 

"This person cares about me as an individual." 

The fan then looks for every possible glimmer of a hint of a personal relationship with the said idol. They take every look or nod to mean something deep and extremely personal. It almost becomes an obsession. Sometimes it becomes unhealthy. That's where we find the fringe fans or sasaeng fans—those who cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality. 

It is a thing that cannot exist on it's own. The fan cannot exist without the object of their obsession and the idol cannot exist except the fan be there to support and cheer them on. 

This strange symbiotic relationship is what fuels the entire K-Pop industry. Even the craziest of fans are simply ignored and allowed to reside in the fandom all because they are usually the ones who spend the most money, even if their presence is detrimental to the idol or artist, or even to other fans. It simply all boils down to money. Yet, these fans believe in their deepest of hearts, that they have a genuine and very real to them relationship with the idol. 

Let's think hypothetically for moment. 

What if the idol became obsessed with the fan? What kind of strange relationship would form out of that? 

Would the idol stalk the fan?

Would the idol create a fantasy world where only they and the fan exist and no one else was allowed entrance into that world? 

What happens when an idol becomes a fan? 

Does the idol simply watch and admire from afar? Or do they force the other person to become a part of their world? 

Just what exactly would this sort of relationship look like if the roles of the idol and the fan were...reversed?