8

"Jade?" I heard Ronnie's panicked voice before he opened the door and I jumped out of the bed. He ran to me, leaving the door open. "Jade!"

"What's wrong? What's going on?" I asked as he picked me up. I hid my face and held onto him. A feeling of dread crashed into me like a wave from the ocean.

"I thought no one would notice because the boss isn't allowed to see you till his father approves and I'm in charge of caring for you, so I thought no one would look. Marlben looked and now they're hunting for you." He said quickly as he carried me down the hall. He carried me up more stairs and they seemed to go on forever until we reached two huge doors that he opened up into the largest bedroom I'd ever seen. "I'm so sorry, Jade. This wasn't supposed to happen."

He placed me on a large armchair that faced the fireplace and looked at me for a second. Studying me for a moment with frantic eyes.

"We have to get my pants off of you before they think we did something," he said. I hesitantly took off the pants and he put them under the bed.

He looked at me again before he nodded and started pacing. I stood up and grabbed his arm.

"What will happen to you if they find out you let me out?" I asked.

"Bad things. Really bad things, Jade." He whispered before he continued pacing. I watched him worry and try to think.

He saved me. He tried to protect me. They'd kill him for that? I have to protect him. I have to run again. I thought for a moment before hugging his waist.

"Thank you, Ronnie," I said. He looked confused before I ran the other way as quickly as I could with my injured leg. I heard him calling for me and felt his hands inches from catching me again. I got into the hall and saw that I would be trapped. There was only one other room on this floor and they'd catch me on the stairs.

I heard Ronnie right behind me and let out a loud scream hoping to draw attention before he could catch me and get himself hurt. I heard pounding footsteps coming up the stairs and turned to a glass door that had the curtains drawn, rushing inside. I leaned against the nearby wall with my eyes closed, trying to catch my breath, being careful not to hurt the marks on my back.

My heart stopped when I heard movement at the other end of the room. The one room, Jade. The one room someone was in.

I felt a tear slip down my cheek as I opened my eyes. A tall man stood up from his desk and slowly started moving towards me like a hunter stalking a rabbit.

I still heard the men coming up the stairs and knew I was trapped. Everything felt like slow motion as I slid down the wall and sat with my knees to my chest as more tears ran down my face, stinging in the cut on my cheek.

"I'm sorry," I whispered as the man kneeled in front of me.

A confused look swept across his face. He had dark hair that looked held back with gel and pieces fell across his forehead as he looked down at me through two big brown eyes. He was wearing a suit, but the top button was undone and I could see the grey tie laying lazily on his desk.

"Who are you?" He asked, his eyes searching me for any clues.

"I'm Jade. They're looking for me." I said as I started crying harder. He looked like he was unsure what to do.

"Why are you here?" He asked.

"Haven't you heard?" I gave him a half-hearted smile. "I'm supposed to be the lucky bride of some guy I've never met. Oh, and the best part, if he doesn't like me, they'll kill me. Of course, you working here, you already know that."

"Jade?" He said my name and looked at me like he was trying to solve a puzzle. "Who are you supposed to marry?"

"I don't know. They just keep saying 'the boss'. Mr. Marlben's son." I shrugged. "Aren't you going to call them in to get me?"

"Well, I'd like to know the story first. Why are you out? Aren't you supposed to be hidden away somewhere so 'The Boss' doesn't find you?" He asked with a small chuckle. I didn't answer him, looking down at my hands as more tears fell. I heard a heavy sigh as he gently put his hands on my arms and guided me up. He led me to his desk and picked me up, putting me on the table before sitting in the chair in front of me. "Alright then, what's the plan?"

"I don't have a plan. I'm just waiting for you to call them in and I'll be caught and punished again." As I spoke, I kicked my feet lightly back and forth and looked at the carpet. He ran his finger along the cut on my cheek and I jerked away from him.

"Is that what happened to your cheek?" He asked looking at it curiously. I didn't answer, but it seemed he already knew. I watched his jaw tick as he thought. It was quiet for a moment before he spoke, "I think you'll be fine when it comes to if the boss wants you or not. He'll think you're beautiful."

"You should really call them. If they find me here then you'll be in trouble too." I said quietly, avoiding a response to his comment.

"Nah." He smiled up at me. "I don't think I'll be in trouble over some little girl hiding in my office."

"Oh, but you will, there was one guy who tried to do something to me and they apparently tortured him! You seem too nice to get hurt for this." I said trying to hand him the phone that had been on the corner of his desk.

"Oh! You were the one he touched? The boss's girl? Oh, they didn't tell us it was you." He said putting the phone back on his desk without missing a beat. I sighed and hopped off the desk. I felt his hand on my wrist as I turned away. "Where are you going?"

"Leaving before I get you into trouble."

"I won't get in trouble." He rolled his eyes and smiled.

"You will and it will be my fault. Now, either let me go or I'll scream so they'll find me and I'll say you caught me."

"Do it." He said giving me a challenging look. I looked at the door and watched a shadow go across the curtains. Do I really want to be caught so soon?

I looked back down at the man in the chair. He slowly stood up, smiling lightly. I really can't get him into trouble though.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I felt a tear slip down my cheek and he wiped it away almost instantly. I inhaled deeply before letting out a scream that only lasted long enough to catch their attention. I heard all the movement in the hall stop before they all rushed to the door.

"Sir?"

"Enter." The man behind me said before pulling me to stand behind his desk. I felt his hot breath on my ear as he whispered, "that shirt doesn't cover much and boss wouldn't be happy with them seeing all of you."

The men started to hurry in and froze when they looked up. I looked at the man behind me and saw a proud look on his face.

"Boss," I heard one of them whisper, "you weren't supposed to see her yet."