19

"Eleven days?" I asked. It wasn't that long in any usual sense, but the past few days here had felt like weeks. Could I even keep this up for eleven more days? I've only been here a few and I'd already messed everything up.

"The original plan won't work because my father has apparently planned something that day and the guards will be up. I have no idea what he's got up his sleeve, but I know it can't be good." He explained quickly before he tried to reach for me. I stepped further away from him and he frowned. "Jade... I should be apologizing too."

I looked up at him, a little surprised.

"I was afraid. I'll admit that. I'd never felt so much for one of the girls he'd brought me and I was trying to get you out of my head. It was never my intention to hurt you. I didn't think you'd even care until I saw you're face when you brought it up." He stepped closer and before I could move he pulled me into his arms. "I believed you when you said you wanted to stay, but now you dont. And I understand why. I'm sorry, Jade."

I tried to pull away from him again, but he held me closer. I was determined not to let his words effect me,  but it was too late. I believed him and wanted to just stay in his arms. That gave me even more reason to leave. It was like I was fighting myself to stay or go. I couldn't keep this up. I sighed and hugged Blake back. It was then that I noticed he was carrying his guns again. I hadn't seen them since the first day, I supposed he'd been hiding them to avoid frightening me. He had a folded knife sticking out of his back pocket.

"Do you always carry those?" I asked.

"Huh?"

"The guns and knives."

"Oh," he shrugged. "Just when we aren't in my room. I don't like to keep them around too much, but they're for protection. Don't worry."

"Oh." I said looking back up at him. He seemed to be in an almost talkative mood so I decided it was safe to ask him whatever was on my mind. "With all the guards, why do you need more protection?"

"Well, don't let this scare you but, I guess it's time I  explain." he sighed moving us to sit on the couch. "The business I'm in has many competitors. If I make a sale first, they'll be very upset and want to make sure I can't do that again. Then, there are good and bad deals. In a good deal, I get paid and they are happy with their products, everyone wins in the deal. In a bad deal, they don't want to pay, and one of us would have to end the deal in bloodshed."

He looked at me, waiting for a reply of some kind, but I couldn't think of anything to say. What could anyone say?

"Sometimes, I have to take trips. Business trips that I make the deals on. My next one is in seven days, so you'll be here for that. I'll be leaving Ronnie and a few others with you. Ronnie's a bit of a drunk, but he's my best guard and I know he'll protect you."

"But if you're going somewhere worse, why are you leaving the best with me?"

"I promised you'd go home." He said looking back down at me. "If they came without me here again, they'd find you. I can't let anything happen to you."

"But why would-"

"I think that's enough about that." He interrupted. I decided not to push his temper.

"How old are you Blake?" I asked looking at the bookshelf across the room. They reminded me of the library and I wondered if I'd ever get to go to the library.

"I'm twenty-five." He said softly. "You're only seventeen. If you weren't here, it would be illegal for me to be with you."

It was quiet for a moment and it seemed we were both lost in thought.

"Things have been so weird lately. I've been missing for how long? At the very least two months? No one is looking are they?" I sighed still looking at the bookshelf. "I'm here, and I think I'm developing Stockholm syndrome."

"As in, having feelings for your captor?" He asked looking down at me. I looked up and nodded. "Technically, I'm not the one who took you or had you taken, so maybe you just like me."

He laughed as he teased me and I rolled my eyes. I did like him. And I saw Ronnie as a close friend. This couldn't be healthy. I looked back at the bookshelf.

"Can we go to the library?" I hadn't meant to say it aloud. He looked thoughtful for a moment.

"Sure. If you'd like, you can go wherever in the house, until I take you home." He shrugged a little and started to get off the couch. I grabbed his hand before he could step back in the direction of his desk. He looked down at me and I smiled a little.

"I said we."