24

Blake

I woke up smelling the most amazing thing. It reminded me of sugar cookies, but something in this scent was strange. I opened my eyes to find I had buried myself beneath the pillows on my bed. Her pillows.

I'd slept beside her. That was such an insignificant thing, but to me it meant so much. She let me stay. She trusted me. We were comfortable and happy. I was surrounded by her scent and it was amazing.

I reached across the bed searching for her. Hoping to sneak in a moment with my arms around her before the day began.

When my fingers only hit the cold edge of the mattress I sat straight up and began looking around the room for her.

I got up and hurried to check the bathroom, only to find it empty. I stepped out of my bedroom putting one gun in my back holster, not bothering to find a shirt as I tucked the holster to my pants into hide it from the front view, and I hurried down the stairs to the kitchen.

There was a plate with food still on it, someone had left behind. Something inside me just knew it was Jade and I knew something was wrong.

I tried to remain positive and I ran back up the stairs to the library. Empty.

I pulled out my phone and called Ronnie.

"Where is she?" I asked him.

"What?" He sounded groggy and tired. "Who?"

"Jade," I said angrily. "Obviously Jade. Find her and bring her back."

I ended the call and walked to the security room. My security guard was sleeping as usual, I walked to the small screens that showed every foot of my estate.

I started to rewind and search for her. The video had been cut and nearly an hour was missing from half of the tapes.

I flipped my sleeping guard out of his chair. He stood straight up, alarm clearly written on his face.

"What happened to these tapes?" I asked as calmly as I could. I tried to breathe, but that only made me think of her. Her scent covering someone else. Someone hurting her, forcing her to do things she should only do with me. Someone must've taken her. What could they be doing to her right now? I'm supposed to take care of her and these idiots let her be taken. I should've made her come back to bed. What if I'm too late to save her? What if Ronnie can't find her?

"Sir," the security guard began to stutter. "I have no idea what happened to them. I-I just fell asleep a moment ago. I-"

I was done hearing his excuses. I felt rage pulse through me, rage I'd been trying to control so I didn't frighten her. I picked up the chair and I had every intention of hitting him with it, but as soon as I thought of her, my target changed and I slammed the chair into the wall. It didn't help my anger so I picked up the larger piece and continued to hit the wall until I felt a hand on my shoulder. Ronnie.

"Sir," he said calmly. "I have something."

I dropped my piece of chair where I stood and walked with him to the moniters.
He pressed play on the center screen and it showed Jade coming out of my room and yawning. She sat on the loveseat by my bedroom door.

She pulled my mother's book into her lap as she sat Indian style and leaned back a little. My queen sat and read for a few minutes and slammed the book closed, looking into my room in horror. She left the book where it sat and rushed away downstairs.

Ronnie clicked onto the next video. She was in the kitchen looking in the fridge. She picked up one of the wrapped plates chef Fellers left and disappeared into the dining room.

Ronnie clicked to the next film. She was sitting at the table, pushing food around her plate and then she jumped. She looked so afraid. The video went dark.

"That's all we have sir." Ronnie said grimly.

"No," I looked up to him. "That can't be all there is. Where is she?"

Ronnie just dropped his head. I felt a sudden ache in my chest and it only fueled my anger. I looked at the security guard.

"Always sleeping on the job just like your shift partners." I glared at him. He took a step back and I pulled my gun from it's holster, watching his face turn from afraid to horrified. "You've failed me for the last time, Gordan."

I squeezed the trigger and watched the man in front of me take his last breath. I still didn't feel any less angry. I looked at Ronnie.

"Search everything. Look everywhere. Gather the men. No one is resting until she's found." I ordered him. He nodded and hurried away.

I looked back to the monitor. Back to her face. She was so scared.

"I'll find you, Jade."