onze

the words flew out of his mouth like jelly, fast and smooth. peggy froze in shock. she wanted to say yes, there was a baby in her stomach and she wanted john to be the dad, she wanted john to be her husband. but she was so shocked, she just stood there.

"peggy...?" john's voice cracked as he said those words.

peggy pursed her lips together. "yes." she whispered, and laughed. a big smile plastered on john's face as he stood up and spun her around, putting the ring on her finger and kissing her passionately. they sat on the bench near the pond.

"maybe, we shouldn't tell everyone yet, based on, ya know, betsey being so broken at the moment, and alexander, have you talked to him?" peggy bit her lip.

"no. none of us have. i don't think we will until he has a good explanation about this whole thing." john whispered.

"i talked to him, once. he sent me a letter. i sent him one back." peggy said, putting her hand on john's chest.

"what did he say?" john asked, and shifted, holding his breath.

"he might be moving upstate, maybe to albany. but, he also said he regrets it and felt like maria kind of pulled him into it, but i know she didn't. but still, he told me he hasn't slept in a week and he was extremely tired. he only wrote, and wrote are wrote. it was the only thing he did." peggy whispered.

"you were born in albany. i wonder what he'll see there. i heard it was quiet up there." john said, stroking her hair.

"it is. you'll never hear a peep when outside, everyone is respectful. and nice. he told me he tried to write to eliza, but just couldn't make himself too it." peggy frowned.

alexander was waiting for nathaniel to arrive. he was late, really late. he thought he blew him off.

he finally heard his door bell ring and stood up, groaning. he didn't care about his looks so he was just wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and his hair was still messy.

the thought of eliza screaming raced through his mind as he went to open the door. he shook out of it and finally opened it, seeing nathaniel there holding tissues and ice cream.

"you look terrible." nathaniel said, pulling him into a hug. alexander just groaned and hugged back. "do you have an explanation?" nathaniel said, flopping on the couch after closing the door next to alex.

alex rubbed his forehead. "i feel awful." alexander said. "i kissed her back. and eliza saw. and now she's not talking to me and john has probably proposed to peggy by now." alex scoffed, remembering the promise ring. eliza never opened his gift.

"why did you kiss her back?" nathaniel asked.

"i knew maria. i knew she had a reason to kiss me, maria is in love with eliza. like, they're bestfriends. atleast, i thought they were." alex groaned.

"they are. they still talk." nathaniel told him.

"i kissed her back, because.... i couldn't say no. i always say no, ive said no to eliza. she had tears in her eyes that night. i felt dead. i'm a terrible person." alexander mumbled, but he was loud enough so nathaniel could hear the whole thing.

"no, you aren't. yes, you did something wrong to eliza. but still, you're not a terrible person." nathaniel put an arm on alexander's shoulder, which caused alexander to lie on his lap and start crying.

"im moving." alexander said.

"what?"

"im moving"

"where?" nathaniel asked scaredly.

"uptown. maybe albany." alexander said, not breathing the whole way through the sentence.