vingt

alex whipped out his phone after exiting the store, texting eliza that he and everyone else were safe and he was on his way home now. he needed and alibi so he stopped at starbucks and grabbed a banana nut muffin for eliza. he knew those were her favorite. and a coffee for himself. he headed home in a cab, because the rest of the gang ditched him so they could go home. he knew eliza was freaking out when she saw everyone else except her boyfriend. which she did.

once alex arrived home he tipped the taxi driver. the ring cost so much money, but was still small. eliza grew up in luxury and alex grew up on the steets, he never had a lot of money and he still didn't. eliza probably expected a gorgeous 24 karat diamond ring he could never afford.

he kept the ring at the shop as they were preparing it, saying it would be reading in only a couple days. being of how small it was. jesus, why couldn't rings just cost less and my girlfriend wouldn't have expectations. alex thought, sadly. thats when the bad thoughts kicked in.

she's going to say no.

alex knew she expected this but seeing peggy pulling off her engagement ring, even if it was just for show, it nerved him. she still wore the promise ring, every day. but she could take it off at night when he wasn't there, and put it back on before they woke up. eliza was an early bird. he knew it was a stretch, but he believed it. that was enough. he wanted to back out. but that all washed out when he was enwrapped in a huge hug. he knew who it was immediately just from the scent and touch.

"liza, oh my god. im so sorry for not texting you sooner." he said frantically, rocking back and forth.

"as long as you're safe. that's all that matters." she responded, pulling away and cupping his face. he was wrong. she cared. she was happy. and concerned. and worried. he never had that with anyone. he was doing this. and what better time than their year anniversary in a week.

that's when he was doing it. but for now, he focused on her. and that they were all safe, and everything was okay. they all gathered in the living room, lying on eachother. except peggy was in johns lap in the corner on a sofa chair.

they were talking about everything, the good, the bad.

"so eliza," john started. "still thinking about that yale scholarship?"

she hadn't thought about in a while, but the new semester started 2 months and she still got emails from them to go. she knew she didn't need the scholarship, and she could pay for it. but she wasn't going to decline a scholarship if she was offered one.

"i mean- i don't know. alex goes to kings, and it's like what- a 3 hour drive? it wouldn't be fun to drive 6 hours every weekend or weekday to just see you guys. and we would have no time, it just wouldn't be practical. and with the baby on the way, i dont know you guys." she said softly.

"come on, liza! this is your dream. you are 20 now, you know? you can't hold another year off of college. you've always wanted to go here. you should take that to your advantage." alex said sternly.

"ok ok ok! i'll respond to them tonight that i'll have a response by the end of the week." she said. they all cheered lovingly. eliza stroked her stomach and took a deep breath and burrowing into alex's neck. he smiled at her lovingly and kissed the top of her head. they kept that way for what seemed like hours, before half of them fell asleep and it was just the boys awake.

"guys i have some news." alex said whispering. the boys became intrigued. they were sluts for gossip.

alex chuckled and showed them the receipt for the ring. they all gasped and fell back into their seats. "finally!" an echo of whispered cheers come amongst the group of young adults.

"when are you asking?" lafayette questioned, intrigued.

"on our year anniversary, this wednesday." alex responded, looking down at the girl curled in his lap lovingly.

"i get so much credit for setting you two up." john snapped raising his hand.

"yeah yeah, whatever." alex said, snark overpowering his voice.

"i agree with john." lafayette said smugly.

"i hate all of you, and i hope you know that." alex cocked an eyebrow and smirked.

the rest of the boys acted hurt, "i'm crushed!" john pleaded.

he blew a raspberry at him.

"yeah you're going to be one of those dads." john said. alex rolled his eyes.

-

I HOPE YOU GUYS NOTICED THAT HALF OF THIS CHAPTER WAS NEWSIES REFERENCES AND SO WILL THE NEXT LIKE COUPLE CHAPTERS LMAO AHAHAHAHAHAH

DID YOU GUYS LIKE THIS? IT WAS FLUFFY LMAO

also all the guys agree with john w everything he's like the davey of the group

omg im newsies trash im sorry

xx emma corinne