Chapter 15

Isabel POV

There was a knock on the door as I finished drying my hands with a towel after washing dishes.

"Gio. Did you forget your house keys again?!" I asked with a bounce in my giggle. Suddenly, I opened the door to see a tall man.

Jesus.

He looks so much like Alexei, yet it was not him.

"Umm....can I help you?"

"My name is Detective Boris Solokov from the Malaga Police Department." He said. "I am here to investigate a murder that happened at the main gates of El Camino del Rey last night. The cameras recorded a man during the murder. I would like to talk to you and ask you a few questions."

I just looked confused as I wondered...

'What does any of this have to do with me?'

"May I see I.D. please?" I asked. He raised an eyebrow and chuckled awkwardly. It is normal for community officers in general to present their badge or I. D. before they even mention their name. Sometimes they have a uniform to prove their profession, other times they don't.

"Yeah, I got one." He was reaching into his back pocket. It looked like he was going for a weapon, but I was staying calm.

Suddenly.........

I let out a sigh of relief when I saw the wallet.

"Here is my I. D." He showed me his driver's license, but I was still not convinced. I needed proof if he really was a cop. I had the right to know. I looked at the license reading the name.

Boris Solokov.

"Well......do you have a badge?"

"Miss....." He glared at me. "It is just a few questions. I don't have time for this."

I sighed and thought,

'It is only just a few questions.'

I let the detective in the house and he looked around. He noticed a few pictures of Gio and I together. Some were at church and others were here at the ranch.

"What kind of questions do you wish to ask me detective?"

"Well, last night a murder was committed. A brutal murder. The body had been burned so bad that we could not do an autopsy."

"Oh, my God......" I covered my mouth in shock. "All that happened in El Camino?"

"Yes Miss. However, we did get the name of the victim. Are you familiar with the name Alexei Moreno?"

Flashbacks came back when Alexei almost raped me when I was just the mere age of 18.

"Umm......y-yes sir."

"Tell me....... When was the last time you contacted Mr. Moreno?"

"5 years ago. I was 18 years old."

"Hmm.......then explain the reason why your truck was at the parking lot."

"My truck? I'm sorry, but I thought you said earlier that a man committed this crime."

"I'm getting to that." He showed me a picture of my father's truck. My father left the beat-up truck to me in his will, as well, so the title is under my name. "This truck is yours. You see the license plate?"

"I....I don't understand. I wasn't there that night. I was here." He kept badgering me as if I was a criminal and I was scared.

"Does this man look familiar?" He showed me a blurry picture that looked like....