Part 9

Dedicated to thebongbeauty who's persistence drove to post five chapters back to back.

And the doctor announced that my one leg was broken, another's ankle shifted or something like that and the head got cracked. Besides the aching was worse than death. Anyways I was tied up with the bed. And most of the body part was moulded with bandage. Maa cried, baba scowled, my friends came and I was numb, sleepy. The numbness increased when docs pushed more and more pain killer dozes in my body. Scan, X-ray, and killing stuffs my body passed.

"I said I want to sleep! Give me anaesthesia for your grandma's sake Doc!" I howled.

"And I said you can't get it. Now shut up. We are giving you enough pain killer!" The lady Doc glared.

"No no! I can't stay awake, it's paining!" I pleaded. But Doc only nodded and said a

"good!"

I mean seriously I am a patient after all! Hitler's sister!

Anyways I was shifted to home after two weeks. I huffed in relief. But now a torture of over looking after was all set to haunt. My whole bloody clan, whoever wherever they were land up in our flat. And my own room was a fish market. I would make a dirty face, and they would squeeze my cheeks blowing a kiss. Even Bhutu take that advantage of my temporary disadvantage of broken legs and used to come to peep over me shaking his tail. I thing he was happy with the fact that I was not able to kick that dog. Oh! I forgot to tell, but now it was totally exact, if I call him dog. It was a full grown up animal now. Whatever!

Only the afternoon nap time was an exception. Though then mom use to come for a round, and most of the time then I would be sleeping, yet, peace was there. So I used to try not to sleep, though initially I used to be too tired to do that. Later I managed and pursued it to more constructive works.

Like now, I was talking on phone. Mom's phone. I still didn't get one.

"Tell me about it!" Sumedh chuckled aloud over phone he was on a vacation to Himachal while I was on bed. I made a face. "Anyways you are fine right?" He would ask. Every day. And was damn sorry for the fact of his departure.

"yeah buddy!" I grinned and my eyes catch a sight. Pulu was peeping in. Biting her lips, her eyes were asking.

"I'll call you later!" I hung up the phone. Well in this much time, my wife didn't get a chance to meet her sick husband I suppose, cause she didn't. I never saw her meanwhile. Not even that swing of her frock. The last time I saw her, was at the hospital, that day, when I was admitted. My whole family was hovering around me, including her dog, but she didn't.

I tried to make a stern face, but my voice sounded very meek mouthing that "Hey!"

"Hey!" Her lips trembled still remaining at the doorstep. I kept gawking and after some back-forth steps she walked in and stood the edge of the bed.

"You okay now?" She mumbled. Have I ever everrrrrr! had heard her this voice. Never. Her voice was reminded me that ringing of that material she wore as her anklets. Like tiny little bells. Soothing one.

I nodded as the mussel of my face stretched till my ears.

She nodded back and looked down at her feet. My eyes followed. That red nail paint, which a very little stained now, was perfectly complimenting her wheat seed alike skin, and that white anklet was just to adorn it.

And suddenly she was walking off.

"Pulu!" I called her behind

"I should go. I shouldn't have come" she shook her head.

"what?!!! come here!" I patted my bed while that smile played with my lips.

She shook her head frantically with a kinda scared face.

"Pulu I am your husband, and I am asking you to sit here." He made a principal like face. She widened her eyes. "Come!" I eyed her. And she sat beside me. Have I ever said that she is...emmm... Kinda cute. Not cute like Burby doll, but like those plastic dolls. With two side ponies. My dol didn't had blond hairs though. She had this long curly brownies black hairs like Indian doll. I gripped her palm. My doll's hands were stuffed with cotton bolls. Soft! Soft! My face gleamed like something as I squeezed her swollen palms.

"Butu da!!!" She mumbled, and I looked up to match her watery gaze "I am really sorry about it." She was crying!

"What? About what? Why are you crying?" I mouthed trying to sat up but she couldn't hear it I suppose. Cause she kept bubbling.

"... I know that there is something bad with me... Everything around me... Will just disappear, or something'll happened to them... Mumma! Baba!... You..." Her lip rolled down with each name while tears slide down on her puffy red cheeks "... But... Please trust me... I did nothing. Butu da! Really... I didn't do a thing... I don't... I ... I never intended to harm you... Never... Ever..." She kept chanting and her eyes kept raining turning them heavy and red.

"what are you talking about Pulu?...Who said these things to you?" I asked totally confused.

"Nonn! I know!" She sniffed rubbing her nose over her palm... "I know... See maa baba... " she gulped. "I shouldn't have come...Bomma (The eldest aunty) asked me to not to come, but I just wanted to see you... Besides I had to say sorry to you... I should not have said those things to you... I am sorry!"

"What did Bomma said?" I frowned. Why would she interfere in husband-wife's matter! Ruthless women. Manerless!

"No she..." Her lips trembled.

"From now onwards. You have to stay here. Morning to night. Only the toiletries times are exceptional." I sounded like the Major of army. She looked up with a awe face. "sashti tor ( it's your punishment)!" I added...