Part 31

{Last part}

To call or not to call. I stared at the phone in my hand showing her number, my thumb held over it. Well she didn't call me. It's been almost fortnight she was gone. But she just didn't even bothered.

My trance broke with the ringtone of it from an unknown number.

Call centre! At this hour! I thought.

"Hello!" I picked up annoyingly.

"Is this... This Butu?" A lady asked me.

"ummm yeas!" Why?

"Look. There's an accident case. I am calling from S.S.K.M hospital. I got your number from the his last call..."

"who? Who? where???" The call I made last was to Sumo. That asshole's exam got over today and he came to my house and after the moron walked out I found his file of admit card on my bed. So I called and informed him almost half an hour back.

"its a bike accident. The name of the driver..." Lady mouthed but I was not needed to hear anymore.

I rushed outside.

***

"say me! Is he alive or not?" Sumedh's mother jerked me glaring with her watering eyes. "Say it loud Butu!!!" I looked at her. I saw his father looking nowhere with blank eyes.

The policeman informed that while tackling a car coming from the other side his bike skied and his bammed with the lamppost road side. That moron's was not waring any helmet! How many times I warned him about it.

Tuli slapped me, punched me saying "Do something please!" But I was just numbly looking at her. Both the medical students, and couldn't do a thing to save the person, one's best friend another's half life. The doctor had declared him spot dead. "Butuuuuuuuuu!!!" Tuli screamed at me. I saw Suvro tring to hold her but she jerked his hand warning him not to touch her. Aru patted me I realized.

And it took just one minute to turn him from 'is' to 'was' and with in hours that asshole who was rolling, laughing his heart out with me in my room hours back, sharing the same cigarette, burnt and turned into ashes with out any protest.

"Butu!" My baba's hand on my shoulder broke my trance. He came with me last night. "Lets go Butu. We are done."

That's right we were at the Crematorium, at the burning ghat and everything was done. I looked at the Ganges. The dawn broke all over the sky firing up. A new day without any friend in this world. I breathed my lungs full.

***

I didn't go home from Crematorium. I found myself infront of my in laws house.

"Keeeee (who's there)???" Came a cranky sleepy voice. Pulu's uncle. He startled seeing me.

"She...!" I heard my voice seemed like after ages. Maybe my face was looking so horrible that he just straightened his index finger indicating upstairs with a flabbergasted face.

I found her on the terrace. Sitting on a divider facing the sky and all my feelings stirred on making a lump in my throats.

"Pulu!"

She turned and and widened her eyes  horrified by my face but maybe she thought I was there to apologise so she looked away.

"Pulu!" I mumbled again.

"look at that corner. It's like some fire has lightened up. Isn't it..." She sighed. I didn't understand what was she talking.

"Pulu Sumedh..."

She turned at me this time.

"Sumedh!" I shook my head as those tears rolled down. I had not cried since now. With a omnipotent power I didn't. It didn't came. As I was not feeling anything. I saw everyone crying but not me.

"What?" She frowned.

"bike accident... He ... Nei..."

"what the shit are you talking about!!!" She screamed looking at me horrified.

"He just turned into ashes Pulu... With in minutes..."...

"It's like... Its like my whole teenage was an illusion. I have no one who knows me Pulu. I am a complete...complete orphan! How could he! Asshole! How could he just..."

"Butuda...!" Her broken voice tried to sooth me.

"How the hell he could? Didn't he know? No one knows me like him. I have no fucking one to understand like him... My father...my mother...none! How just he could!..."

"Butuda chup please!..."

"It's not like him at all. That boy... A living person, full of life... just turned into ashes infront of my eyes. My best friend! And I could not do a thing. It was like... He would jump out from there and start yelling anytime "ei shala ki meyeder Moto kandchis, pechone debo ek! (Looser! What are you crying like a girl! If you drop another tear, I will just kick your butt I swear!)"... But he didn't... The fire calmed down, he turned into ashes quietly... No abuse! No nonsense yelling! Everything quite!"

I realized we kept sitting there quietly. Pulu was seething a little due to her sobs, hugging my shoulder tightly and holding the back of my head into her chest tightly as her chin rested on my head, her tears raining on my hairs.

I never knew how much Sumedh Roy ment in my life. I was now completely different world, having no one actually known. Neither myself. He knew me more than myself. How would I spent one day even without him!

It's like one part of my life was completely dark.

"Pulu," I found myself mumbling after a long time. She stirred a little. "Let's get married! Legally!"

She looked at me in a horrified face. "what are you talking...!" She said feebly.

"I don't want to taste my luck Pulu! I have lost you umpteenth time. I have lost one part of my life completely todat. I can't afford to loose you... Don't test my luck..."

"Butu da sssssssssh! I am not going anywhere...!" She tried to hush me.

"... Kill me, slap me, but don't do this to me please... You are the other part of me... I can't afford..."

"Butu da..." She looked hurt "you really think it's a good time to talk about it?"

"promise me first, be mine! I know I am asshole! I don't deserve anything good in this world... I don't know what this time is... I am selfish Pulu, I can think about me only... That boy I lost today... None knows me better than him, You are the next... Pulu... Don't leave me... Punish me. But not like this! Please!"

I didn't know how I was sounding. Maybe pathetic I was. Trust me I didn't want to say those things to her that time. I lost just that person I had my everything with. From first porn video session to first alcohol, first cigarette. As if my whole teen was meaningless now. The portion of my brain was numb. And I preferred to tell her what felt. So I continued. "... I am nonsense Poulee, I am idiot I can't decide anything good on my own... And only you two know that... Hold my hand Pulu. I don't wanna lose you. Please..."

She didn't say anything but hush me "ssssssssssssh! Butu I am not going anywhere. So shut up!" She embraced me tighter.

She said 'Butu'! And for a moment it was like my best friend talking in her.

"say you are and will always be with me!" I clenched her hands surrounding me.

"I will" she promised with a mumble...

There is an epilogue, and I'll post that in a few days.
Thank you guys for reading...