Chapter 8 // Compromise

Adelaide's Point of View

The laughter and conversation between Lucy and Michael immediately stopped once I entered Fabulous Florist for my shift. I grimaced, knowing that Michael had told her about what happened and that they were both judging me with their uncomfortable glares and the shift of their gazes to their feet.

"Michael," I pleaded. I desperately wanted to make things right. "Can we talk please? At least hear me out?"

He glimpsed towards the redhead next to him who nodded her head, urging him to listen to me. "Okay."

"Look, I'm sorry for kicking you out. I just panicked and freaked out. I don't do well with violence. It wasn't anything personal, okay? As soon as I cleaned up Calum I made him leave too," I lied, only in an effort to make him feel better. "The bottom line is that I want to be friends with both of you. I know you don't want me hanging around Calum, but in my opinion he is a great guy, and I'm asking for you to respect that. It's my life. I appreciate your concern but I'm more than capable of making your decisions."

"You just have no idea what he did," Michael stated, shaking his head rapidly.

"Well why don't you just tell me?" I asked out of pure curiousity. The secret that everyone seemed to know of but me was eating away at my insides.

"No. I want him to be the one to tell you," Michael protested. He sighed, running a hand through his vividly colored hair. "I accept your apology, Addy. I like you too much not to. And I'm sorry for punching him in your house, even though he deserved it. But if Calum does something to you please don't come crying to me."

I chuckled with happiness, pulling the tall boy in for an embrace. He felt a lot like a brother than anything. It was much different than a hug with Calum, which caused my heart to combust into lust and surround me with the feeling of being completely safe and joyful.

"Hey! Stop hugging and get back to making me those baskets," Mrs. Clifford called, clapping her hands together to create a startling noise.

I leaped out of his grasp and returned back to making the baskets, in fear of being fired from my first job here. I doubt it would happen, but I was afraid of appearing like a slacker or unappreciative for the chance to work here.

--

Fourteen missed calls covered every inch of the screen on my phone, the little notification in the corner taunting me everytime I glimpsed at it. The number was completely unfamiliar, yet I felt that if someone had bothered to call me this many times it had to be important. My heart beat inclined as I called this mysterious person back, afraid of who was the culprit on the other line.

"Addy! Thank God you finally picked up."

Calum's voice instantly filled me with butterflies. I could listen to that octave for hours. He had such a raw and velvety tone. His words always flowed off his tongue in such a smooth manner. "What's wrong, Calum? And how did you get my number?"

He giggled. "I sent myself a text off your phone when you were sleeping yesterday. But that's besides the point. The make-up you put on my nose washed off in the shower."