Chapter 33 // Hot

Adelaide's Point of View

"Do you really have to go back?"

I nodded slowly, watching as the sliver of happiness left on Michael's face start to melt away. His blue-green eyes squinted at me as his chapped lips curved into a frown. "Aw, Addy. I'm going to miss you so much."

"I'm going to miss you too," I admitted, wrapping one arm around his body as the scent of fresh bouquets smothered our nostrils.

Michael rubbed his cheeks against mine in an effort to get me to crack a smile, but it didn't work. I was still an utter mess from the way Calum left yesterday, and the thoughts about going back to my old life were haunting me. "How did Calum react?"

I bit down on my lip as the guilt began to seep through my veins again. "Not well. He broke a few cups and stormed out."

"Doesn't surprise me," Michael replied with a shrug, returning his attention to the flowers in front of him as his mind seemed to wander. "I mean, if Lucy ever moved across the world I would be crushed. And we haven't even been together that long. But you and Cal, like you two are the definition of soulmates. I've never seen people so in love before. Not even when Calum was with Ellie was he like this. It's gonna be hard for him and I need to make sure I'm actually there for him this time."

I swallowed the lump in my throat that kept increasing in size. "I hope you two become friends again. Well, if he stays. I'm trying to convince him to move with me but it's not entirely fair to him."

"It may not be fair," Michael agreed, pulling a face as his lips twisted up. "But since when is anything about love fair?"

I finally felt my mouth curl into a grin as I leaned my head against his shoulder. "Since when did you become such a philosopher?"

He giggled happily and placed his colored hair on top of my head. "I'm not sure, Ad. But I do know we're going to make this last week in Australia fun for you. We're only going to have good times. And if you need anything, like a ride to the airport or whatever, I can totally do that for you."

The two of us sat there in the embrace for several moments until Michael began to hum a tune that I was unfamiliar with. I let my head fix itself so it was placed directly in the crook of his neck. I rarely allowed myself to show weakness in front of anyone other than Calum, but right now it was nice to just be held and comforted. I've learned that it's okay to show my emotions and that all of my feelings are valid, no matter what anyone else thinks.

The clicking of heels against the concrete floor caused my eyes to flutter open, revealing a weary Lucy stood in front of us. I peeled myself out of Michael's grip. I could sense a bit of jealousy in Lucy's gray eyes. She was well aware of the fact that Mikey used to like me and I think a part of her will always be slightly insecure when I am alone with her boyfriend. I knew that Michael's feelings for me had ended though, because he was glimpsing up at Lucy with the most adorable grins I've ever viewed.

"Am I interrupting something?" The redhead questioned, breaking the eerie silence, as she placed her tote bag down on the table.

"No, not at all, babe. Um, Addy just has some news for you," Michael explained, extending his hand out to intertwine their fingers together and urging his girlfriend to sit on the chair next to him.

Lucy looked up at me expectantly, and I inhaled a deep breath before proceeding to talk. I was always frightened of anyone's reaction after the way Calum had acted, but Lucy was a girl and one of my best friends, and I doubt she would break my cups. "I have to go back to America in a week."