Chapter 14 // History

Adelaide's Point of View

"Do you really have to go into work today?" Luke whined, pulling me in for another hug.

I chuckled. I've spent the entire day with the boys and I could tell they were desperate for some strictly guy time, plus I was lucky enough to receive the late shift today. "Yeah, sorry. If you guys want some flowers let me know. I can hook you up."

"Please don't tell me you work for Clifford's mum," Ashton complained, his eyes skimming my face for a reaction. I just nodded my head and he groaned loudly, lifting one of his hands up to remove the residue of sweat that was clinging to his forehead, just below his bangs. "Well, tell him I said hello. I wonder how that jerk is doing."

Calum's arm enveloped around my waist, pulling my back against his toned stomach. "Ash, did you know that Addy and Michael are friends? Isn't that weird?"

"Why would you want to be friends with that douchebag?" Luke shouted in an exasperated tone.

I shrugged, suddenly feeling uncomfortable with the way they were speaking of my coworker. I was aware of the bad blood between them, but it still made me uneasy hearing bad things about the people I cared about. "It's funny because he says the same exact thing about Cal."

"Well Cal is a douchebag," Ashton agreed, the three boys chuckling together. I quickly found out that teasing each other is their way of showing affection. "But not the way Michael is. Mikey is a terrible friend."

"He's nice to me," I protested, folding my lips over in a pout. Calum kissed my cheek gently. "I better get going. I'll come back over tomorrow before you boys leave, okay?"

Calum's grip on my stomach tightened. "Why don't you just sleepover here tonight?"

I glimpsed between Luke and Ashton, and they nodded their heads rapidly, smiles growing onto their faces. "If that's okay with you guys. I don't want to interrupt on your bro time."

"We'll have plenty of man time while you're at work, Ad," Calum insisted, spinning me around to peck my lips softly. "Please come over after work?"

"Fine," I said defeatedly. Ashton and Luke were making whipping motions behind me and I was cracking up as opposed to Calum who had flipped them off. "I'll see you guys tonight, then."

--

The shop was completely empty except for Michael, Lucy and I. I was questioning Mrs. Clifford's thought process on how leaving us with the responsibility with the late shift was a good idea. Apparently all of the adults were busy which is why we had this opportunity, but in the back of my mind I knew this wasn't going to be a good idea.

Michael was swinging keys around his index finger and approached me as soon as I stepped foot into the store. He flashed me a smile. "We're closing early and you two will just make your annoying bouqets without having to deal with any customers."

"Smart," I mused, enjoying the idea of not having to tend the front desk.

After twisting the lock and sticking the We're Closed sign to the door, he nudged my shoulder. "So, you were too chicken to come to the party?"

I laughed, completely forgetting that my original intention the other night was to go hang out with Lucy's friends. "Yeah, I wasn't feeling up to it. I'm sorry. Maybe next time."

"Lucy picked up a pizza so we can go have ourselves a little party right now," He insisted, looping his arm through mine as I was escorted to the back room.