Chapter 36 // Diving

Adelaide's Point of View

When I had finally woken up from a long night of restless sleeping on my sofa, I was an even worse mood than before. This was mainly due to the fact that I was smack dab in front of an adorable couple that was snuggled up close together on my living room floor who had made me watch three annoying comedies last night. Michael's mouth was parted open slightly and faint snores were escaping from his nostrils as he clutched tightly onto Lucy, and I wanted nothing more than to be positioned around Calum like that.

I truly appreciated all of their attempts at making me smile, but I just wasn't in the mood for that quite yet. I didn't want to have to force laughter in order to relieve some pain in my heart, I wanted the boy who had stolen my heart to make me laugh again. I wanted to watch sappy movies with him and make fun of how cheesey it was, even though we were both very aware of how cheesy our relationship is. Or, was.

My feet hit the carpeted floor beneath me, the little shags seeping in between each of my toes, as I wobbled over towards the kitchen to pour myself a cup of crappy coffee. There appeared to be some clouds swirling around in the beige colored liquid as if the entire world was in a crummy mood as well.

The sounds of my spoon clinking around the edge of the mug as I stirred the milk into my burning hot coffee must have caused Michael and Lucy to wake up. I could hear hushed chatter coming from the living room and when I glimpsed over in their direction, the couple was untangling their bodies and began to approach me.

"Morning," I called, lifting the mug up to my lips. It was one of the only ones I had left since Calum had broken my others. I understood why he wanted to, because now there was nothing more I would like to do than break things.

Lucy slid into the barstool in front of me, her hand still intetwined with the groggy Michael who was trailing behind. "Hi Addy, how are you feeling today?"

"Still terrible," I stated with a shrug. My two coworkers shared a look that I wanted to wipe off their faces. I hated when people showed signs of pity. "What do you guys want to do today?"

Michael picked up a banana that had been left on my counter and he peeled back the outer layer before taking a bite. "Um, have you ever been cliff-diving? There is a really nice place where we can go to that's just down the beach."

I had been cliff-diving before in Los Angeles on a family vacation, but I've never been anywhere around here. It might be good for me to have that thrill and exhilaration rushing through my veins to distract me from everything surrounding me. "Let's do it."

Lucy nodded in agreement and I led her upstairs to my bedroom, lending her another bathing suit of mine to wear. As she dashed into the bathroom to get changed, I slipped into my bikini, throwing a lightweight sweater over it and putting a pair of pastel shorts on. I tucked a few pieces of my hair behind my ears, exposing my freckled cheeks even more.

"Ready to go?" Michael asked us, swinging his arm around his girlfriend happily and pressing a kiss onto the side of her temple. The jealousy kicked in again.

I simply shook my head to confirm this and the three of us strolled out of my back door, heading down the nearly empty beach. It was a bit chilly outside today since the sun was hidden by the puffy clouds, and a slight breeze from the continuous crashing waves kept tickling the light hairs on my arms. As we passed by Calum's house, I attempted to peak inside, but Lucy jumped in front of me and obstructed my view.

"Don't even try to look for him," Lucy ordered, putting her hand on my upperback and rubbing it carefully. "It will just make you more upset."