Chapter 34 // Break

Adelaide's Point of View

The only noise echoing throughout my home was the one deriving from our forks scraping against the top of our plates.

After we cleaned up, I had made the two of us some late-night dinner with the groceries that were lingering around my pantry from last week's shopping trip. An awkward silence settled upon us once we planted our butts in the seats across from each other. There was no conversation or eye contact and we didn't fling our food at each other like we usually did. I was aware that it was merely due to the fact that our minds were both cluttered with worries, but I still wasn't fond of the lack of laughter.

"So, did your parents make you anything special for dinner last night to celebrate?" I wondered, in an attempt to lighten the thick tension lying between us.

Calum finally glimpsed up from his gaze on the microwavable chicken tenders. "Uh, yeah. We had my favorite pasta. It was nice. Our dinners have changed a lot since that one that you went to."

"Well I'm glad," I stated sincerely. I didn't like the idea of him fighting with his parents at the table. That day when he stormed out of his own house still frightened me, but I understand his actions now. "They must be really happy that you've got your charges removed."

"Not as happy as I am," Calum replied, lightly laughing but with the absence of his smile.

"Right," I agreed, scooping up some of the instant mashed up potatoes and filling my mouth with the fluffy food.

An uncomfortable silence swept over us again and I was desperate to change the atmosphere. I even debated turning on one of his favorite songs and dancing around like an idiot just to get him to grin and return to the giddy behavior of his that I adored. I felt guilt sitting upon my chest as I noticed how evident his sadness was.

When I opened my mouth to attempt to start another conversation, I was interrupted by Calum slamming his silverware down and pushing his plate forward. "I can't do this," He complained, standing up and weaving out from his chair.

"Do what?"

Calum ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "I can't just," He stuttered, then sighed heavily before raising his voice. "I can't just sit here and pretend like everything is fine. You're leaving in a week, Ad! You're leaving the country! Nothing is fine!"

I tucked a piece of my brown locks that had escaped from my sleek ponytail behind my ear. "I know, Cal. We have to make the most of our time together. But there is still the option of you coming to the US with me?"

He glared at me, crossing his arms across his chest in a stubborn manner. "No, Addy. I can't just leave my family or leave Ash and Luke, and you can't leave your family either. We're both selfish. Neither of us are willing to leave our home."

"Ashton said he would look into moving to America if you moved," I told him, attempting to keep my voice low and not yell back at him in the same octave. "You should call him. He's really worried about you."