Chapter 35 // Heartbreak

Adelaide's Point of View

I never knew how crappy it would feel to get your heartbroken until this very instant.

I've never been heartbroken before. I only had like one real relationship which we mutually ended and I have never been in love before until Calum. So this heavy weight resting on top of my chest is completely foreign to me.

My mouth opened to scream at him and cuss him out as his toned body wobbled along the road towards his hole, but I was far too weak to even mutter a sound. Every inch of myself felt completely numb and I was frozen in my tracks, still trying to process whether or not this was real.

I think my loud sobs and his dry eyes were a lovely verdict to my confusion.

He glimpsed over at my stunned body that hadn't even moved an inch since Calum had said goodbye, then carefully proceeded in entering through his front door. It slammed shut with a loud thud, which was the only indication that he was upset. But other than that, he seemed incredibly collected over the break-up, and that had killed me.

I finally gathered enough strength to stroll back into my house and as I soon as the door clicked shut, my back slid down against it until my butt collapsed against the wooden floors beneath me. It was such a cliché chick flick scene, but I couldn't even bare to stand on two feet when my entire world had been crushed in a matter of minutes, leaving me with nothing but excruciating pain in my heart and the lingering taste of his kisses on my lips.

My mind still couldn't fathom his thought process. I understood that he had anxiety and would have difficulty handling a long distance relationship, but I figured Calum could at least try until I sorted out my plan for moving back to Australia permanently. Plus, the way he stormed into my home earlier this evening and shared such an intimate event with me made me feel certain that everything would be okay. But Calum barely even seemed affected by the fact that he was dumping me.

The memories of our entire relationship kept replaying over and over in my mind, almost as if it were a continuous loop. The more I remembered all of our good times and how blissful I felt at the time, the more depressed I became. How could he possibly throw away all of those times we spent together? They had to be just as meaningful to him, right? Why couldn't we grasp on to those for a little while longer? We should be soaking up every minute together until my departure, but instead I am soaking wet with tears constantly streaming down my cheeks.

He wasn't just my boyfriend, he was my best friend. He had been my best friend since the very first day I moved here. Sure, I was close with Michael and Lucy as well, but I always put Calum first. He is the only one who could fully understand every emotion I ever had. He is the only person who can make me laugh no matter the circumstance. He is the one that was always cluttering my brain with giddy thoughts. And now all of that is ruined.

I desperately wanted to text him and tell him I missed him and that he should stop being a butt and come back over here, but a part of me was mad at him. This part was tiny in comparison to the portion that was utterly gutted and disappointed, however, there was still a sliver of anger. Why was Calum so willing to break up, as if it was a last resort? I had no idea what the answer was and it ticked me off.

My palms found their way to my knees and I hugged my body tightly as I curled into the fetal position. I was still shaking, my lips trembling with fear of being alone, and I had yet to stop crying. I just wanted Calum back. This shouldn't be happening right now.

The vibration of my cell phone initiated a thud to echo throughout my home. My heart leaped with anticipation as I hoped that the call was coming from Calum. It wasn't. It was Lucy.