Chapter 9 // Cuddles

Adelaide's Point of View

Shock must have been clearly evident on all of my features. I could feel my breathing rate quicken at the mention of the two of them previously being companions. It didn't add up to me. Michael spoke so poorly of Calum. I couldn't imagine those words of spite coming out towards someone you used to love.

"Yeah, he was my best friend. Not anymore, Mum," Calum grumbled in annoyance, pushing his plate away from him and closer to the center of the gigantic table.

Joy wiped her eyes, ridding herself of the tears that were stil lingering against her wrinkled skin. "I just don't understand, Calum. You used to have so many friends. Now you only have two."

Calum placed one hand on my shoulder. "You mean three," He declared, sending me a fake and sarcastic smile. I tried my best to return the expression, but my jaw was still hanging open in response to the news of the previous friendship.

"Well that's nice and all but Calum what have you done? They surely all couldn't have just turned their back on you just because of the incident. You must have distanced yourself from them too, right? Did you take your anger out them? Is that what happened? Did you start the fight with Michael?"

His hand dropped from my shoulder immediately and he rose out of his chair, his jaw clenched tightly and one of his veins protruding out of his neck in pure furiousity. "Mum! I know I'm an asshole but that doesn't make it okay for you to treat me like one! I'm still your son! Why don't you offer me any support with anything?"

"Calum Thomas," Mr. Hood barked, reaching out to grab ahold of his arm. Joy was crying again, this time much louder.

Calum wiggled out of his grasp, his eyes glaring at his parents with fury. "You know what? I'm sick of being treated like a piece of crap around here. I'm sorry I'm such a screw up, okay?"

He bolted out of the room, the stomping of his feet echoing throughout the entire first floor. I contemplated what I should do. I glanced at Mali for help, considering I was too awestruck to even think, and she nodded her head towards the exit. "Um, thank you for the lovely meal. It was delicious. I'm sorry this evening turned out this way, but it was really nice to meet you. I think I'm going to go calm him down."

Joy snickered, shaking her head back and forth. "It's not even worth a try, Adelaide. He doesnt listen to anyone. He's just going to distance himself from you, dear, and then maybe he'll come back without any warning. It's just what he does. He doesn't let anyone in, not even me anymore."

"I think she shoud try, Mum," Mali piped up, shrugging her shoulders. "They have a very good relationship. I think Addy is the only one Calum actually listens to. I mean, have you seen how happy he's been lately? Besides now, of course, but I definitely think Addy can help him."

"It's worth a shot, Addy. Just be careful. He has a bit of a temper," Steven informed me.

I nodded my head and awkwardly scooted out of the house, composing myself to the best of my ability. This was a different side of Calum that I've never seen before. It didn't seem like anger to me, I genuinely believe he is just so hurt by misaccusations that he acts out aggresively. I was quite infuriated by his mother's words as well, and I'm not sure what the source of those words are, but I do know that if I wasn't so uncomfortable I would have stepped in.

Finding Calum outside was not difficult. I could hear screams and various swear words from just around the corner of his house. He was muttering things under his breath and then would feverishly kick the filled trash bin, leaving a mess of aluminum can spilling out from the top. His biceps were popping out with his fists tightly clasped together, and although it would typically frighten me, I actually found his strength attractive.