Chapter 40 // Reunited & It Feels So Good

Adelaide's Point of View

My house has never looked so unwelcoming in my entire life.

I absolutely dreaded the idea of walking back inside that much too big home and inhaling that fresh scent of apples when my heart was shattered into pieces, with the glue being back in Australia. My parents would probably smother me with hugs and kisses and I would be unable to return any sense of happiness.

The exhausting flight did not tire out my mind, in fact, it increased the amount of confusing thoughts racing through my brain. I couldn't comprehend why Calum didn't show up to the airport and bid me farewell. I wasn't ready for our relationship to wither away. I wanted to figure out a way for us to keep in contact other than to wish each other happy birthday or because of drunk messages. But apparently, we were not on the same page. And I was terribly afraid that maybe we never were.

I quickly typed a message to Michael and Lucy to assure them that I got here safely before gripping onto my suitcase and lugging it up the driveway with it rolling behind my heels. I only had to knock once before my mother answered the door, and her arms immediately wrapped around me.

"Addy!" She squealed with excitement, stroking my hair in the hug. I missed having my mother comfort me, I haven't seen her in months. I sniffled to attempt to prevent myself from crying again. "Oh honey, I've missed you so much! How was the flight?"

"Long," I answered shortly. As much as I cared for my mom, I couldn't help but be angry with her. If she let me stay I would still be snuggled up with Calum right now instead of moping around.

"Is everything okay? You don't seem like you are very excited to be here," Mom pointed out, taking my luggage from me.

I sighed heavily. I wasn't excited to be here. I wanted to sob and eat ice cream out of the tub and find out why Calum doesn't love me anymore. "I'm sorry. I'm just tired and sad. I love you Mom and it's honestly great to see you again but I'm still annoyed that I'm not in Australia."

She placed her hands on her dainty hips, pressing her lips into a thin line. "Because of that boy, right?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Mom. That boy's name is Calum and he didn't say goodbye so I'm upset because now we are officially over, okay?"

Her lips seemed to look like they were trying to hold back a smile and it was ticking me off. "Well, I told you he was just a summer fling."

My fists instantly clenched together at the mention of those two words. Maybe she was right. There was no way Calum could have stood me up if I actually meant something to him. "Yeah."

My dad, who I have always had a special bond with, appeared from his home office with a bright grin plastered on his scruffy face at the sight of me. He pulled me in tightly and kissed the top of my head happily. "How is my little Adelaide? I've missed you so much, peanut. You have no idea. I'm so glad to have you back home."

"I missed you too, Dad," I confessed, wiggling out of his grasp and letting out a small yawn.

He glimpsed at my mother in a suspicious manner. I could tell they were both very aware that I wasn't in my normal bubbly mood and they would probably blame it on teen angst or hormones. But it was just utter heartbreak biting away at me and fatigue from a seemingly never-ending flight.

"You look tired, kiddo. Why don't you go upstairs and take a nap and then come join us for dinner when you're feeling yourself again so we can catch up?"