Part 6

Elena and Stefan wished Alaric happy birthday in his office. He thanked Elena for the beautifully decorated office, which she had prepared for him as a surprise the day before. Elena answered that he was welcome and hugged him. Then Stefan warned him that Caroline was planning a party in Salvatores' house. Alaric just rolled his eyes but he promised to come, of course. After that he excused himself, saying he had to work, and so Elena and Stefan left. Elena immediately ran off to class in order not to be alone with Stefan long enough for him to offer her to give her a ride after school or something like that.
Afternoon classes went by fast and Elena raced to the parking lot, got in the car and drove home, where she thought about what she would do. Finally, she decided to go to the party. After all, that was the only right decision, wasn't it?
Thus she washed her hair, did her make up and put on a beautiful dress. She took the present she had bought for Alaric - a book about vampire hunting - she thought he could find it funny; she put on shoes, grabbed her purse and headed to the Salvatores.
The party was already in full swing. Caroline indeed took care of everything, there were decorations, music and refreshments there. There was probably EVERYONE who meant something to Alaric.
Elena found Rick to give him the present and she wished him happy birthday once again. The present made him laugh. He thanked her and then she started chatting with Tyler and Matt. Elena didn't know whom she should talk to; she felt as if everyone was staring at her and they could see inside her soul where she was hiding the dark truth about where she really was supposed to be today...
She checked her phone every minute. Klaus had been supposed to pick her up almost half an hour ago. She hoped that he might leave her alone. But she was mistaken. When she looked at the phone for like the thirtieth time, it started vibrating like crazy. And it was Klaus calling her.
In that moment Jenna turned at her and she wanted to ask her something. 'Just a second,' gestured Elena dumbly and she walked outside the house. She sat on the stairs and with a deep breath, she accepted the call.