Part 26

Klaus kept his eyes on Elena's, full of determination, and he tried to focus on what he should do. 'Elena,' he said slowly. With a tiny smile she encouraged him to go on. 'I want you to... I want you to forget every compulsion I've ever used on you. I want you to be happy the way you... the way you were before. The way you are deep inside. I want you to make free decisions, including those about your feelings for me.' Klaus was starting to cry more and more, which made Elena's eyes fill with tears, too. 'If that means that you're going to hate me and you'll never want to see me again, I'll accept it, it will simply be your wish and I'll respect it. I'm ready for your hate.' His voice started shaking and more and more tears kept coming out of Elena's eyes and she wasn't able to control it, she was absolutely hypnotised by Klaus. 'Now I want you to leave... Even though it's the hardest thing I've ever done and I'll ever do... To let you go.' Elena started moving backwards obediently. 'Hold on. One last thing.' Elena stopped. 'When you come home, take your diary and write down everything you will have felt since the moment you left this house. Love, hatred, betrayal, happiness, fear, desperation... anything. When you're finished, call me and read everything out loud to me. I need to know. I need to know if you reject me.' Klaus shook his head a little. 'There. Now go.' He turned away and the moment of compulsion ended.
Elena headed home, but before Klaus closed the door, she looked over her shoulder, her face covered with tears and full of sadness and pain, which had come from god knows where. It could simply be her reaction to Klaus' cry. But it could also be an expression of her broken heart.