Part 37

Klaus took Elena to his house, where they sat by the fireplace after a round of passionate sex. Elena rested in his arms and thought about what had just happened and whether it made her happy. She felt happiness and she also felt love for Klaus, which was even intensified by his hug. But she couldn't help but feel sorry for Damon, and especially for Stefan. She was sorry that she had left him in such a horrible way and she got together with Klaus, whom everyone, Stefan included, hates. She was kind of sad, so she pulled away from Klaus and started crying.
Klaus stroke her cheek and he asked her: 'What's worrying you, love?'
'Nothing,' Elena swiftly shook her head.
Klaus lifted her chin and he made her look him straight in the eye. 'I can make the pain go away,' he told her.'
'No,' she refused. 'No compelling. I want to stay myself forever. Even if it includes this pain. And believe me, it's for the best like this. And do you know why?'
'Why?'
She smiled at him and replied: 'Because this person that I am now loves you.' And she kissed him.
'I love you too, Elena. And you are right - I love you just the way you are.'
'See? I'll get over it. I'll just need a bit of time.'
'We're immortal. We have literally forever.'
'I know,' she nodded. 'And I'm glad that I'll spend it with you.'